In Real Time

“On my blog, my readers and I experienced 9/11 together, in real time. I can look back and see not just how I responded to the event, but how I responded to it at 3:47 that afternoon. And at 9:46 that night.”

Wow. This could not have been a more appropriate line for me to read this morning. Yesterday, as most of you probably know, DC experienced the terror and then heartbreak of a shooting at it’s Navy Yard. 13 people are now dead, and 8 are wounded. This is something especially upsetting for me, as this past summer I would ride by the Navy Yard twice a day on my way to and from work.

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 12.49.41 PM

Our bus would stop at the Navy Yard, pick up a few individuals who worked the night shift, drop off a few more that had the morning shift, and then drive over the bridge and stop five minutes later at the non-profit I worked at.

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 12.41.15 PM

This is the street my bus would go down (the Navy Yard is just beyond the white building on the right).

My initial instinct was to worry about the participants I worked with at my non-profit. Many of them live and work right in that area and it was unclear whether the gunman acted alone or if another gunman was evading the police.

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 12.40.41 PMA shot of 8th Street SE, which ends at the Navy Yard.

An email to my supervisor was answered quickly:

All is well here in SE. There is a stillness in the air! All the sirens this morning was something. We got to open and 2 volunteers were able to show. Do keep us in prayer.

It is a tragedy..

The reason I was so struck by the passage from Andrew Sullivan’s “Why I Blog” entry stems primarily from the fact that yesterday I was glued to CNN’s live blog of the shootings and the ensuing aftermath. Updates would sporadically appear throughout the day and this was my only way of keeping updated while in class or while walking home from school. This blog kept me in the loop and made me aware of what was going on in an area that I care deeply about.

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.