Interesting Blogs: Inbound Marketing

This past summer, I worked as a Market Development intern for a Silicon Valley based start-up company called Give To College.  In the pre-launch stages of its interactive alumni-giving software, one of my jobs was to implement the framework and foundation for Inbound Marketing.  Inbound Marketing is a new way to acquire sales by attracting customers more effectively by using self created content to decipher between an average individual and a buyer.

hubspot

The process of creating and understanding this new technique was a great, but it also transformed my perspective of what blogs can be.

I can honestly say that I had never really followed a blog before this summer.  I viewed the countless number of people typing away into the internet as a personal journal or litany of opinions. Why should’ve I been interested?  What was their purpose beyond entertainment? What made them better than official articles in print, on the radio or television?  My first experience with reading blogs occurred when I was on the clock, but my revelation has kept me reading.

During my internship, I was drawn to Hubspot’s blog, a company that sells and specializes in Inbound Marketing, in order to gain advice and an understanding of this practice.  Blogs, like social media, are being created at an increasing rate, making it all seem hard to navigate.  With the help of Hubspot, I quickly learned to look at the internet’s sea of content as an uncontrollable body of water.  Like water, content has the ability to resist force and control, but it can be shaped and used to our advantage.

The advice was beyond effective during my internship, but I have continued to read and follow Hubspot’s blog long after my job ended.  The style of the blog was informative, instructive and clear in showing new strategies and how to implement them, constantly organizing post content with numbers and bullet points.  To increase understanding, the blogs were filled with imbedded links within the text, providing more information if the viewer was interested.

In the weirdest way, it was a blog that was purely for business that has showed me the power and value of this medium, and I hope to explore more in the near future.

Ryan Hayes

I hail from the hidden gem of the midwest Chanhassen, Minnesota home of Prince, Buffalo Wild Wings and cornfields. While my home clings to my identity leaving a perception of a faux-canadian with a hockey addiction, let me redefine myself: I am a person that is actively balancing nostalgia and thoughts of tomorrow in search of being in the now. I am an aspiring, young professional who needs to learn to shave more frequently. I am a personality, a voice and a perspective.

3 thoughts to “Interesting Blogs: Inbound Marketing”

1. Sounds like an interesting internship. I thought your point of, “Like water, content has the ability to resist force and control, but it can be shaped and used to our advantage,” was really interesting. I think that’s one of the most difficult aspects about navigating through the internet, and it’s definitely something I struggle with. It’s not hard to get overwhelmed by the seemingly infinite amount of internet content.

2. This was a really cool post. I liked your honesty about not knowing about blogs to then having to use them a bit for research to create one. It’s a new perspective for me to learn about using a blog for a more business aspect. Addressing that so many new blogs these days isn’t always a good thing was a nice point and your “Like water, content has the ability to resist force and control, but it can be shaped and used to our advantage,” was a really good point to make!

3. I think the whole new phenomenon of businesses using blogs and blogs helping businesses is pretty wild to think about. Normally I wouldn’t think of blogs as particularly helpful beyond giving individuals new opinions and perspectives on news and stuff. I think the fact that you found a blog that actually helped you with your internship and gave you valid business tips really speaks to the positive presence blogs can have on the internet, and shows that blogs aren’t all just a bunch of crap