My Fav Blog: Real Reminders of Harsh Honesty

I was never a huge fan of blogs, or so I thought. When friends made blogs about food they cooked or adventures they have taken, it always seemed like one too many lines were just trying a little too hard to make me laugh. My least favorite thing about the Internet is that most of the time what is posted is strategically picked to get a like, favorite or plain old compliment. But then, I found out that my favorite thing about the Internet is brutal honesty. While of course it can be rude to say what you really think about someone’s thoughts out loud, the wonders of technology have facilitated people speaking their mind (for better or worse).

To me, speaking your mind (or writing it out there) is really a beautiful thing.

My favorite blog is Elite Daily: The Online Destination for Generation Y. While some blog posts are a little too extreme or at time explicit for my own liking, I am an avid twitter follower and re-tweeter of their posts. Specifically, one from today was “The 20 Things You Need To Stop Doing To Yourself”. While the title sounds like the beginning of a self-help book, Elite Daily is hardly that gentle. The blog is raw and for lack of better words, calls the reader out for bad habits. This post is honest and real. Some of the 20 things include stopping lying to yourself, procrastinating, fearing failure, worrying and etc.

Elite Daily doesn’t necessarily tell you how to stop lying to yourself, it just tells you to get over it and live in the present. In his article, Andrew Sullivan described blogging as “spontaneous expression of instant thought”. I could not think of a better way to put Elite Daily than that. The articles (for the most part) are harsh and honest in the same way that you’d accidentally telling your crying best friend to get over the boy, put the ice cream down and move on already. We too often are quieting the honest truth to be nice. Of course, Elite Daily isn’t calling me personally out for my procrastination or fears it is calling out a generation and truly “writing out loud” to what I believe most people are thinking. It may be a little disturbing to read at times, since the “truth” isn’t always easy, but I give credit to the bloggers who can truly say how they feel about society.

Plus the blog posts almost always have pictures- who doesn’t love pictures?

Jessica Golden

My name is Jessica Golden and I am an East Coast girl currently stuck in the snowy Midwest at the University of Michigan. I am now a student at Michigan due to tearing my ACL the week before my soccer recruitment and picking a college at whim, but so far it has worked out. I have two older sisters who live in New York City just like I plan too. Living on Long Island for my whole life has been like a bubble, and with no broken bones, no pets and no walks down a red carpet, I definitely feel ready to be a sponge, soak up life and do whatever comes along. Although I have never experienced typical things, like learning to ride a bike or attend sleep away camp, I enjoy finding the weird things in my life and embracing it all. I have lived in a hotel for 7 months (which is nothing like TV makes it seem), am on a quest to spend a day in all 50 states (current count is 26) and managed to sprain my ankle while climbing the Vatican in Rome. While my world is slowly expanding in Ann Arbor, my eyes are still set on returning to the big apple one day and changing the world (for the better) one lawsuit or public policy at a time!

3 thoughts to “My Fav Blog: Real Reminders of Harsh Honesty”

1. I don’t think I’ve ever read Elite Daily, but it totally sounds like something I would read, too. I’m curious though, are comments enabled on these posts? I think that on sites like that which are “brutally honest,” things can sometimes get pretty nasty when the strangers of the internet are all commenting their own brutally honest opinions.

2. I’m not sure if I would start reading Elite Daily, only because of the blog’s tone. Seems a bit too raw and negative for me, but it’s interesting to see material like this. I’d like to think that I don’t have any of the “problems” that Elite Daily sets out to fix, but it’s neat to know that this is a resource out there.

3. I love the idea of being brutally honest, but often times, I’m to scared to share my thoughts. While I wish “Honesty Box” was still an acceptable thing on Facebook, I think reading a blog like Elite Daily could be really refreshing to hear some truth without the sugar coating.