My Style

The paper that I chose to analyze is my most recent piece of academic work and was written for a Communications course that revolved around television shows. The topic of the paper, Full House and American culture, allowed me to use more creativity and freedom than I had previously experienced with other papers. While rereading this essay, I immediately noticed my go-to sentence style (ironic, I’m using it now). My reflections prove that I absolutely love to use the style that Rosenwasser and Stephen describe as “the complex sentence” and often incorporate the words “although” and “while”. Although this is not necessarily a bad aspect to my writing (…using this once again), I know that it probably gets very repetitive.

I also noticed that I used a plethora of transitional words. I began to get annoyed while reading my own paper because many of them seemed unnecessary and irrelevant. This, along with many other sentence structures, made me realize that I would be a much better writer if I could better “cut out the fat” of my writing. Overall, my strongest reflection about my recent paper in terms of the Rosenwasser and Stephen chapters is that the structures of the sentences that you create truly set the tone for your work. In order to better guide my readers, it is imperative for me to learn the ins and outs of sentence structure.

One thought to “My Style”

1. Your comments are very relevant to my writing as well. My Polish 326 writing class last semester really picked up on the different writing styles and sometimes tendencies of different students.

One of the things that I was careful to work on was wordiness and “cutting the fat”. Although, looking back, I definitely still see areas for improvement, it’s interesting how when in the moment, a complex sentence or transition after transition will seem to say exactly what you want it to. Then, I read the same piece a couple months later and realize how sometimes more words actually blur up the meaning of what I was trying to say, as the reading mentioned, it’s a fine balance between “priggishness and piggishness”.
    Everytime I caught myself using another transition, I would try to break it up into more than one sentence or just cut it down if it was repetitive. Or even as Rosenwasser and Stephen say, to change the order of the words in the sentence so that you can still use the same style, but it will have different emphasis in a different order.

Both of the things you have mentioned are also things that I need to work on in my writing and it’s interesting how we were given ways to maybe change it up. Hopefully we can come to a happy medium between our style and a style that suits the reader.