My Style

The piece that I went back and analyzed was a paper that I wrote on adaptation, and how the Constitution of the United States was adapted from multiple pieces of literature and ideas. I chose this essay because it is one of the papers that I am most proud of. Struggling in my first college English class, this was my first A, and I had received the highest grade in the class on the paper. So how did I earn this grade? Disregarding content, and stripping the essay down to its style and voice, one word comes to mind: scholarly.

I wrote a scholarly paper. There were no loose sentences, I didn’t stray much from the paper into my own thoughts, and most of all, I was extremely formal with the paper. I feel that whenever I write, I always try to write scholarly. I never venture outside my bubble to try writing a little more creatively, with less rules. I don’t like it, it seems informal. I was always taught to write differently than how you would talk. Where the line is drawn between formal enough to be a paper, and informal enough to be spoken conversation…well that is up to whoever the reader is I guess.

Convoluted is the other adjective I would use to describe my writing. Although I have been making attempts to correct this issue, I tend to write long, drawn out sentences using redundant words instead of making sentences as concise as possible and getting to the point (like just now). Why, though, do I write convoluted? Perhaps it is my innate creative nature battling with my obsession to write formally.

One thought to “My Style”

1. After talking with you and getting to know you a little more on a writing based level, I think you bring up some interesting points on your style of writing and I think its really awesome you can pinpoint an aspect of your writing that both defines you and makes you happy to write. I like you last paragraph about creative nature battling to come out. Hey, maybe you’re right, and you were made to write children stories. Either way though, I think its great you found a style of writing you love: I envy you just a little bit.