My Writing Style

The last paper I wrote was on what I thought good writing was. This excerpt was my introduction:

“What is a good idea? Spending $4,000 on a pair of jeans? Exercising daily? Drinking 10 cups of coffee before noon? Going to college? Depends on whom you ask. As social beings, we constantly exchange and create ideas through interactions with the world. Good writing arises from good ideas, but who decides the value of an idea? The writer? The reader? The editor? Our ideas are never universally accepted, but does opposition always suggest an idea should be tossed and the writer should try a different direction? My experience as a writer and a reader has taught me that good writing is not solely dependent on the whether or not others agree with an idea; quality writing is based on how a writer develops and supports his idea rather than the idea itself.”

I notice in my writing that I always like to immediately establish a relationship with the reader in order to make my writing more personable and informal. I achieve this sort of friendship through the page by using words such as “you”, “we”, and “our”. I ask rhetorical questions so that the reader subconsciously answers them as they read, as if we were having a conversation. I use this sort of diction to make the reader more involved in my words. For me, the most important part of writing is making a connection, whether good or bad, with the readers. I want them to experience something other than the words their eyes slide over. Through description and the senses, I aim to draw readers in so that they see what I see, smell what I smell, hear what I hear, and feel what I feel. Sometimes I do go overboard with rhetoric, but imagery is extremely important to me. For me, too much is always better than too little. Editing and dialing back the volume is much easier than pulling words out of thin air to describe an image/idea that does not already clearly exist. In my opinion, doing the latter makes the words less genuine.