Repurpose and Old Essay

The paper that I am choosing to repurpose is an essay that I wrote in a community college class that I took which required me to interview my father. The class was for African American Studies and it required that I interview someone in my family and tie that individual’s history into the larger contextual history that we learn about in the class. It was a fun assignment and I loved seeing how my father’s family history really did reflect themes similar to the larger societal historical events. I really enjoyed writing this paper but thought that it would be a good one to repurpose because my father has told me to so much about his family’s history since I wrote this paper. In essence I have so much more research to add to this essay today than when I wrote it 3 years ago. I was thinking of writing it in a form that isn’t an essay but as if it were in a more common and easy to understand form such as play or a TV show script. That way I felt like it would be able to reach the youth in my family all the way to the adults and be a way to preserve the family history in a format that was suitable for all ages and education level.

Kidada Malloy

Sophomore, 25 years old, originally from Los Angeles, half English/half American, half Black/half White, interested in Public Policy