Toward a Composing Model of Reading Notes

This article was focused on how the reader and the writer go through a lot of the same practices and stages as they conduct their activities. The author talks about how from a reader creates meaning by using background and experiences to understand what the writer is conveying. The writer also does this, but the writers objective is to generate ideas and filter through drafts. This way, the writer and reader are both steering each other towards a common goal.

I also enjoyed the part about how objectives assist readers. If a reader has an objective before he or she writes, they will recall more info than if he or she were just reading without any clear goal. The reader can do this through visualizing, which is a form of alignment which is equivalent to eye-witnessing. Through this practice the reader makes himself of herself more like the writer and they work together to reach their conclusions. Even if the reader and writer are from different continents and have never met, visualizing allows them both to see and feel the same thing.

Lastly, the author talks about negotiating meaning. The “inner reader” is reactive, and reacts to past, present, and future text. This point was really interesting to me because I’ve never thought of an inner reader voice. I’ll have to explore this more when I am reading for class and for pleasure.

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.