Why I Write?

As a 25 year old single individual, the reason why I do anything is because it brings be some sort of personal benefit. Personal writing has benefited my life in the sense that it allows me to organize the thoughts in my head, analyze my feelings and impressions, and make new discoveries about me and the world around me. This is what I have enjoyed most about writing, and the reason why I am so excited to be in the writing minor program at UM. Beyond explaining an academic idea, writing has the power to transform individuals lives by creating a space where people are free to delve deep into and come to fully understand a new way of thinking about a topic. There are many other reasons why I write, but for me the personal, analytical, explorative writing is what has been most significant in my life so far.

Kidada Malloy

Sophomore, 25 years old, originally from Los Angeles, half English/half American, half Black/half White, interested in Public Policy

3 thoughts to “Why I Write?”

1. I really like that you are straight to the point of why you write. You don’t bullshit the reader while going on a tangent like most blogs tend to do. That being said, you may want to go into more reasons of why you write or rather explain how it has been so significant in your life.

2. Going off of Lior’s post I do think that being straight to the point and very honest about the fact that you write for yourself is great. Going deeper into that idea and talking about the different ways you use writing to organize and analyze would be interesting.