Why I Write

Orwell and Didion’s essays, “Why I Write”, were interestingly both extremely relatable to my life and extremely opposing to it. Firstly, Orwell’s description of knowing that he was destined to be a writer “from a very early age” does not resonate with me in the slightest. However, Orwell describes his childhood as a “private world” which he created for himself. Reflecting back upon my lifetime, I feel that I have created a comparable lifestyle. I often find myself deep in thought. Fortunately, I found writing as a way to release all of that energy in the past few years. Similarly, Didion also gets at this theme of wondering: wondering about the world, about people, about places, and mostly about why. This curiosity is what fuels my desire to write.

I also found Orwell’s great motives for writing very noteworthy. Initially, I was slightly offended by the first listed motive, “sheer egoism”. However, upon further thought, I realized that it is absolutely true. Overall, I feel that my motive for writing intertwines all four motives, particularly “aesthetic enthusiasm”. I generally feel that my outlook upon writing is far more optimistic than both of these authors describe in their essays. While I agree with major life events greatly influencing writing, which is definitely relevant in my life, I prefer to use the negatives in life to highlight the positives.

One thought to “Why I Write”

1. Personally, the ideas proposed by Orwell and Didion as to why they write were not contradictory in relation to my own life, however, I see how they could be in yours. Specifically, in my own blog post I wrote about how I was destined to become a writer from a very own age, so that piece of Orwell’s article was certainly relatable for me. Additionally, Orwell’s idea of a “private world” is one I can relate to, just like you stated you could. Writing is a way for introverts to express themselves, to escape to some type of private world that is accessible and understood by all in the writing community.

After reading your blog post, I feel Orwell’s proposed motives for writing seem somewhat contradictory, however, I believe these contradictions are what make writing unique, and what make it what it is. Specifically, in terms of Orwell’s passage, on some occasions, I write to seem clever and to get my point across. I write to be witty and to prove that I am correct when it comes to a particular viewpoint. On the other hand, I often write for enthusiastic purposes, because I am excited about something, or merely because I want to release the same type of “energy” you spoke about in your blog post. These contradictions speak to your point about “using the negatives in life to highlight the positives.” Because our motives for writing are so contradictory, it makes sense that we might use it to spin negatives into positives, or vice versa, or to change/frame our own or someone else’s emotions, opinions, or dispositions differently.