Adobe InDesign #TechChallenge

For my remediating project I’m using Adobe InDesign to create a small booklet for high schoolers with information about different post-highschool options. The design will be similar to study abroad books I’m sure many of you are familiar with. It will have lots of images, quotes, and different sizes and styles of text, sort of similar to something like this. In order to learning how to produce the ideas I currently have in my head I figured a good place to start a tech challenge would be on the adobe site itself (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/topics.html#dynamicpod_reference_1). InDesign is an Adobe product after all, so they must have some good resources!

The help site is organized by “getting started tutorials” and then specific tutorials on things like layout and design, text, styles, tables, color, and transparency to name just a few. I decided to start off watching a few getting started tutorials, which helped me through the very, very basics of things like opening a document, setting up how many pages I need, and setting the size. It seems ridiculous to have to learn how to do something so simple, especially because I’m so used to programs like Word and Powerpoint that I almost forgot that I had to learn how to use them at one point! I also learned a few nice tips such as how to re-order your pages at any time, which will be helpful for me since I haven’t decided on the order I want my topics to appear in the booklet.

I’m definitely going to continue watching these tutorials because I really like being able to follow along with exactly where to click rather than reading text of how to do something and then having to locate the buttons. I also want to check out the resources on Lynda.com, and then once I get a little bit better of a handle on the software I’ll check out the tech deck to ask specific questions in person.

One thought to “Adobe InDesign #TechChallenge”