Interactive YouTube

One of the coolest applications of YouTube has been around for a few years, and somehow it remains (relatively) anonymous.  YouTube has a feature that allows users to post videos and include clickable hyperlink buttons within the video itself.  This feature was originally intended to be used for users to include in-frame previews of other videos and allow the viewer to directly access those.  However, some YouTube users have found ingenious ways to use this feature and turn their videos into fully interactive mediums.  A good example of this is Howard Glitch.  I don’t want to spoil anything (you should check it out), but Howard Glitch is basically a “choose your own adventure” game inside a YouTube video.  It’s super cool, and really changes the way that we interact with YouTube dramatically.  My goal is to use this same technology with my remediation project.  I have experience editing videos, but making an interactive “timeline” (which is what I want to do with my project on soldiers with bachelor’s degrees) is a feasible technology to learn in a week.  I really can’t wait to get this project started!

David Hermanoff

I am a Sophomore from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In addition to the Minor in Writing, I am working towards graduating from the Honors History program. After college I want to earn a JD/MBA. My favorite hobbies are skiing and basketball.

2 thoughts to “Interactive YouTube”

1. Wow, I’ve never seen any video like this. It is great to see that you have found something you think you can do and are excited about!! I think that this is really a “new” media idea because many people, like myself, didn’t know this was an option for videos. it really does change the experience for the audience.

Great example and I look forward to seeing what you can do with your project!

2. I always see hyperlinks popping up on youtube videos saying “subscribe to my channel!” or something like that, and I always just exit out of them because they get in the way. This is the way people should be using hyperlinks! It didn’t even occur to me that they could be interactive. It reminds me of the types of children’s books where you can choose what ending you want, etc. It’s kind of like the digital form of that! Really unique and cool!