Is it worth it?

Throughout my schooling days, I’ve had many different types of teachers.  From my middle school ex- police officer, evangelical grammar enthusiast to my quirky high school teacher that doubled as a tea drinking, riddle speaking hippie.  No matter what the course and no matter the instructor, editing and writing has feel upon the burden of myself.  Help comes from only those asking for consultations from those I really trust, my mom and my dad.  No matter what the subject, the advise I have received from my parents is always the same, “is it worth it?”

Now, the advice seems open ended, but it isn’t referring to writing itself.  Rather, my parents have encouraged me to look at each sentence and ask, “is it worth it?”  I’ve found this to be a great piece of writing advice, because it has forced me to look at my writing not as a whole paper, but rather, I view every choice I make, semantics and style, with equal importance.

This advice shouldn’t cause you to be constantly pausing at every new sentence, but it should be used to redefine your thoughts and to achieve the ultimate meaning behind your work.  Nothing in your paper should be dead weight.  Nothing should lack meaning.  Nothing should lack purpose.  An essay shouldn’t be insightful insulated by filler.  Ideally, it should be exactly what you want to say, nothing else.

Remove the filler from your writing!!!
Remove the filler from your writing!!!

Ryan Hayes

I hail from the hidden gem of the midwest Chanhassen, Minnesota home of Prince, Buffalo Wild Wings and cornfields. While my home clings to my identity leaving a perception of a faux-canadian with a hockey addiction, let me redefine myself: I am a person that is actively balancing nostalgia and thoughts of tomorrow in search of being in the now. I am an aspiring, young professional who needs to learn to shave more frequently. I am a personality, a voice and a perspective.

2 thoughts to “Is it worth it?”

1. Making sure to remove filler is a great way to improve writing and to make sure that your purpose is clear. But this seems like a strategy for after your paper has already been written. Do you have any specific ways that you structure your papers when you begin them? Outlining, starting with a thesis, anything like that?

2. Nice strat teammate Ryan.

Every word, sentence, paragraph, and idea in your paper should have a purpose. If it doesn’t then it’s just a waste of space. Asking yourself “is it worth it” is a great way of gauging whether something belongs in your essay or not.

Go team