It’s like a science lab…but inside your radio.

I’ve grown up my entire life watching tv. Once I was four or five, I could sit in front of one of those giant (or actually pretty small) boxes and just watch hours and hours of whatever crap was on. But even though I’ve grown up on tv, I think there’s something really cool and captivating about radio.

NPR has this cool podcast called Radiolab, and basically each month they pick a different “sciencey” topic and do a whole show about it. But it’s never some super long complex monologue about intricate processes, and the topics they chose are things that most people would probably find semi relevant/interesting. Most of them have something to do with brains or why people act a certain way, but instead of just droning on and on about neurochemical processes (which I would be totally cool with, but maybe not everyone would enjoy), the podcasts consist of individual stories that are somehow related to the overall topic. They’re usually really cool explorations that don’t necessarily answer a direct question, but instead get you to think.

I can picture a podcast similar to Radiolab as a great format for my repurposing/remediation project. The way I wrote it, there are a few different stories involved, and they all come together as different instance of musical collaboration and connection. I have zero experience with recording (or editing, for that matter) so I doubt I’m actually capable of putting together a podcast as cool as this one, but I would really like to try making a podcast!

If any of you have any experience with recording/editing at all, I’ll definitely need tips 🙂

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

3 thoughts to “It’s like a science lab…but inside your radio.”

1. This looks so cool! I have never done anything techy so this should be a fun experiment for all of us. I think the recording/editing idea will work really well with your most recent paper because it is all about music and connection and those are both ideas you can convey in an intriguing and different way through a podcast. I am excited to see what you do with this and though I might not be able to help with giving tips, I will lend a hand in whatever way I can!

2. I’ve heard Radiolab a couple times, and I totally agree that it’d be a good fit for your remediation! Just promise that you’ll play us a song when you do the podcast? Maybe you could get your friends/boyfriend to sing something in harmony like you did that first time you met, I think that would be an awesome addition!

3. I think story telling through a podcast would be awesome. It’s like listening to a book on tape. I dont think it would be to difficult to record, but I really dont know to much about it.

I would probably pick a 1-2 stories and really reflect on it. Excited to hear it!