My Little Secret (website that is)

http://www.postsecret.com

Post Secret is probably one of the most unique sites on the Internet in my opinion. I have been checking the site for at least two years and am always deeply intrigued. The purpose of the site is to share people’s secrets without knowing who wrote them and getting to see if you share similar thoughts. Sometimes they are simple, like that they cheated on their wife, other ones are complex thoughts about deep childhood depression affecting them now. Sometimes the website is “themed” like postcards related to an upcoming holiday. It is also unique in that despite the owner of Post Secret, Frank, receiving thousands of postcards each week, he only posts a few and only on Sunday’s. I think this makes the site really unique as well because it further adds to the community aspect of it. First, there is this Post Secret community of people who take comfort in finding another person with a similar secret, and second knowing that everyone is checking at the same time.

In terms of new media, the site utilizes the physical postcards that people send it. Some actually flip over so you can see both sides of the postcard, this is something I did learn how to do in high school so maybe I could use it sometimes on my blog to surprise readers when they gloss the cursor over a photo. Secondly, next to every postcard comes up a twitter or facebook or pintrest box. This hasn’t always been on the website, but it further adds to the community and interactive aspect of the website.

From This Week's Post Secret Website, http://www.postsecret.com
From This Week’s Post Secret Website, http://www.postsecret.com

Jessica Golden

My name is Jessica Golden and I am an East Coast girl currently stuck in the snowy Midwest at the University of Michigan. I am now a student at Michigan due to tearing my ACL the week before my soccer recruitment and picking a college at whim, but so far it has worked out. I have two older sisters who live in New York City just like I plan too. Living on Long Island for my whole life has been like a bubble, and with no broken bones, no pets and no walks down a red carpet, I definitely feel ready to be a sponge, soak up life and do whatever comes along. Although I have never experienced typical things, like learning to ride a bike or attend sleep away camp, I enjoy finding the weird things in my life and embracing it all. I have lived in a hotel for 7 months (which is nothing like TV makes it seem), am on a quest to spend a day in all 50 states (current count is 26) and managed to sprain my ankle while climbing the Vatican in Rome. While my world is slowly expanding in Ann Arbor, my eyes are still set on returning to the big apple one day and changing the world (for the better) one lawsuit or public policy at a time!

3 thoughts to “My Little Secret (website that is)”

1. Man, this is addicting. I clicked the link…..and now 10 min later. It’s a really neat idea for a blog. It’s eclectic, funny, and sometimes really sad! It’s pure honesty. Also, I think that it’s much more interactive and fun when the postcards flip over. It makes them more tangible. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! You could even just base your project off of the actual idea of the website and include some more “new media” in the process!

2. This is awesome! It seems like we hear about postal services being a dying medium every day thanks to the internet, but this website is an ingenious marriage of the two. I’ll definitely be spending time with this website. If you’re able to merge old and new with your project, I think you can make something that’s pretty kick-ass