My writing Strategies

The most important writing strategy that I use is outlining. It allows me to get my ideas out on paper and they’re in front of me, because I work better wish visually seeing my ideas. Having it down on paper allows me to be able to start to organize my paper and thoughts so that they will hopefully give me a paper that flows right from the first draft.  This is a useful strategy for me because it helps prevent me from writers block for the most part because it gives me something similar to “talking points” that someone would use for a speech; that helps me be able to hit the ground running when I start to write.

If that strategy doesn’t work I try to talk to someone about the paper.  This method helps me formulate ideas because I am actively thinking about what would work well in the paper.  It also makes it so that the other person can give me some outside input that I may have not thought of. If that happens it tends to help trigger ideas that I had not considered. This method is ideal when I am stuck with coming up with an idea or when I have writers block.

Blake Bambach

I am a senior linguistics major a University of Michigan. I am on the sailing team and a part of a fraternity. I enjoy reading more journalistic type writing mostly and enjoy technical writing.

3 thoughts to “My writing Strategies”

1. This is a pretty similar strategy to what I tend to do with my papers. Outlining really helps to get the ideas out of your head in a concrete way. Do you think you use this strategy because you’ve been taught to or because it’s really the easiest thing for you?

2. I think that outlining would be especially useful in light of the subject of your paper. Given that it deals with an analysis of the historical significance of a language, organizing arguments, sources and pacing of the essay is extremely important to present a valid conclusion.

I also enjoy talking through my essay with someone, but usually I only do this when I am troubled for how to write. Would you suggest this as an ongoing conversation- before, during and after- or is this best suited to just be used when struggling.

Thanks looking forward to your paper!

3. Those are some good methods Blake.

Last week Prof Babcock sent me an email saying I forgot to comment on your post and that it was lowering team morale. So hopefully this post boosts our team spirit.

Go team