portfoliopalooza

I didn’t think I’d get so excited about this portfolio project but my mind’s starting to get excited about the possibilities and freedom we’re given. I’ve been using technology in my classes for the past 3 years not as a tool for my own design but to learn the nuts and bolts behind computers, so it’s weird for me for the first time to be given so much creative freedom in a school project. I’ve been looking into hosting my e-portfolio outside of a traditional blog site, either a github repository (a site used for sharing and keeping track of code, either for projects across groups or just individuals, or as a dropbox sort-of thing…it’s super handy for CS projects) or through a personal umich site. I’m excited to mess around with HTML/CSS and create my own little corner of the Internet.

Something that has in the past felt too overwhelming but that I’ve started appreciating about my major is the sheer volume of what I don’t know. I feel the same way about writing, that there’s always someone else to learn from. Even though the technical side of writing gets a little too verbose for me at times (got a little lost with those grammar readings last week…) it’s a weird sort of comforting that I’ve never exhausted these subjects.

Margot Kriete

Hi! My name's Margot. I study computer science, have super long arms, never skip breakfast, and will probably become a German shepherd lady (as opposed to those "cat ladies") when I grow up. I like to cook, read, run, change my mind, and write.

3 thoughts to “portfoliopalooza”

1. I’m totally intrigued to see what yours is going to come out as. I literally know absolutely nothing significant about computers or blogs or sites or HTML or anything else, so I’m definitely interested in what yours will look like since you do know a lot about all of that stuff.

I think that’s one great thing about this minor. We have so many students in so many different majors so none of us are going to have final portfolios that are much like anybody else’s.

2. Oy thanks, I really don’t know much about web design at all though! I’m sure it’ll be nice and frustrating for me too. I agree that it’ll be cool to see how everyone tackles their portfolios, like you said it’s nice not to have everyone from the same academic background.

3. That’s sweet. I was thinking about all those options too, not because I know how to use them but just because I’m surrounded by people who say those words everyday. And I sort of feel the need to prove myself haha. I definitely like the creative freedom we’re given also. It makes the portfolio project is a good setting for experimentation.