Pro Writing Strats

strat

With an awesome title like that, I’m sure you’re all expecting some amazing, well-thought out, top-tier writing strategies. Well, I’m sorry to say, I have deceived you. The truth is, I really don’t have any concrete writing strategies to speak of. Usually, I just wait until I really feel like I need to get an assignment done, and then I do it. While I’m sure it would definitely be helpful for me to have a more organized, consistent writing technique, I’ve just never used one that has made me want to keep coming back to it.

If I have to pick a strategy to talk about though, I would probably say that it is easiest for me to make sure that the first things I know are what my argument is (or what my purpose is) and how I can support that argument. So, starting with the question I’m trying to answer, I will outline the main points I need to cover and make sure there is enough to talk about under each point to fulfill any specific length requirement there is. After I have the general structure of the essay or article or whatever laid out for me, I just start writing. I will usually start with the intro and end with the conclusion (I know a some people start with body paragraphs and I don’t know why but I just can’t do that), then if I see that my intro sounds odd compared to the points that my conclusion brings up, I will do my best to change it so it makes more sense.

I guess my usual strategy uses a bit of both outlining and free-writing, but there has never been a specific way that I have been taught to write a paper that I use often. I don’t outline all my thoughts beforehand, nor do I always write a thesis and go from there. However, there is usually some structure to what I do in that I like to have all my ideas laid out before I start to write.

Sarah Rybak

I'm a junior Comm major with special interests in gender, gaming, and new media in terms of how people interact through it with each other.

3 thoughts to “Pro Writing Strats”

1. I’m often torn between deciding whether to just do a velocity draft (free write) or to outline my paper in an organized fashion. Do you think if you had to chose one over the other as a starting point, which would you recommend.

I think both of those strategies do wonders for writing, but they are inherently two ways of organizing thought (getting it all on paper and prioritizing, detailing arguments). These are great things, and I plan to use them both in some combination for my draft.

2. Sarah you do you!!

I think too much structure prevents your writing from morphing into something really good – but too little preparation allows it to drift off course and end up bad.

Sound like you’re searching for the happy medium. Good luck.