Repurposing for Who?

Overall, I haven’t had too many issues with repurposing the argument from my high school research paper. It’s actually been really interesting for me to take an argument from an old assignment and keep it relevant to a new project. Even though it was challenging, I enjoyed the brainstorming process for this project. It was really cool to see how seemingly tangential topics and arguments could be transformed into a completely different medium.

The one thing I have noticed myself (accidentally) deviating from is maintaining a stable connection with the new audience. For my original essay, I wrote for an academic audience who have knowledge of scholarly reflections on race relations and “The Autobiography of An Ex-Colored Man” by James Weldon Johnson. However, because my new piece is directed toward parents of mixed-race teens, I’m having trouble balancing the informative aspects with the instructive aspects. Similarly, I find myself struggling with pinning down one tone of voice.

Anyone else having similar issues?

One thought to “Repurposing for Who?”

1. The problems that you’ve discussed are actually exactly the ones that I struggled with in my Repurposing paper too!

Finding a new target audience, and then sticking to them throughout the writing process, has been more difficult than I anticipated. All of a sudden, I’m writing for a different set of ideas that might not appreciate the way I used to communicate with my old audience. And this naturally moves into tone and voice as well. One of the goals of my project was to actually experiment with multiple voices. Changing the style of writing that I’ve been familiar with for so long has proven pretty difficult. Not only is it focusing on a new set of opinions and tastes, it’s changing our own voices to present a new way of communicating. Hopefully it turned out well for you!