Study Sessions

A few weeks ago I was in desperate need of a shot of fall. I couldn’t figure out what it was, but I kind of just dragged whenever I tried to focus on my re-mediating project or my e-portfolio. Somehow I stumbled upon this 8tracks playlist, and things changed dramatically.

Fall With You Playlist
Fall With You Playlist

These songs are mostly just calm enough to not distract me while I’m writing (I’m known to bop around embarrassingly in the UGLi if I’m listening to certain types of music) and it’s also exciting enough so that I don’t fall asleep. I usually listen to film scores or something along those lines, but every time the Inception soundtrack comes on it stresses me out because the music is super nerve-racking and I feel like I’m going to get stuck in a dream within a dream (within a dream).

So if you guys are struggling to focus in the lib, try throwing this on by clicking the photo above and let me know what you think!

WARNING: It does occasionally make me want to curl up by a fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a great book, sorry if this is your primary result and it doesn’t actually help you study :/

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

3 thoughts to “Study Sessions”

1. I love that I know 90% of these artists and am already in love with this playlist.
    Also Iron & Wine and Ingrid Michaelson are coming to the Ark for the folk festival, so you should watch out for that!

2. I always listen to music to help get my academic juices flowing. In fact, sometimes I even listen as a convenient study break. When I am trapped in the library and am not yet done studying, however, need some type of a break, I will turn on my music and simply sit there and listen. It offers me stress-relief that allows a temporary distraction from my work, papers, and exams. Sometimes, I sit and scroll through my iTunes library, and end up finding old songs that I forgot were once so good. In a way, the library allows me to listen to music privately, even more so than if I was alone. This is because, in a library we are supposed to be quiet; I turn my music to the lowest volume notch so that I do not distract others, and escape into an isolated world for a moment… just me and my headphones.

3. Lisa: I’m so mad, I’ll be in DC during the Folk Festival! That would have been really fun though. I’m alway pleasantly surprised by how many talented artists play at the Ark.

Hallie: I love listening to music but sometimes when I’m reading I have to stick to Jazz or classical so I can actually focus and not get distracted. When I’m writing though, for some reason, this kind of music always helps me. And yeah I also definitely zone out and take study breaks while listening to songs. Weird that I have mini-pump up sessions before exams with specific songs? #guilty