Another #techchallenge: Let’s Go (Photo)Shopping

So I dabbled a bit more in the tech world for my e-Portfolio. I wanted to create a cover photo for my website where my name would appear over an image of the Capitol. Conceptually it was a great plan. Then I tried to execute it and things got a little dicey.

Of course the first thing I do is google “draw on picture” because that is definitely in high tech terms. And this website comes up:

http://www161.lunapic.com/editor/?action=draw

All I had to do was insert my picture and draw away. Seemed easy enough. I headed over to Creative Commons and found the perfect image, screen shotted it (command+4 is my jam, no lie) and then headed over to the website to work my “draw on picture” magic. It was harder than anticipated.

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.15.15 PM

My internet was faulty, so the image kept getting regenerated and all of my beautiful drawing would go to waste. Eventually (like hours later, no joke) I got it to load and I ended up with an image that was too long for me to screenshot in one frame. Ugh. The best thing for me at that point was to take a screen shot of the “Katie” and the “Koziara” portions separately…

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.35.36 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.35.53 PM

…and then insert them both into another program where I shrunk them down to scale and then took a screenshot of them side by side.

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.38.31 PM

Is it a little bit sloppy and are the last letters a little bit squished? Sure. But I’m pretty excited that I was able to troubleshoot this and figure a way to make the idea in my head play out online.

Take that, #techchallenge!

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

2 thoughts to “Another #techchallenge: Let’s Go (Photo)Shopping”

1. I’m impressed! Even though you had to keep re-doing it because your internet was faulty, at least you got some practice out of it. Props to you for trying this; I would be too scared to because I’m not tech savvy in any way, haha. I like that you’re creating your own cover photo; it adds a nice personal touch and I’m sure it’s worth it to see your hard work come together on a site!

2. Thanks Sophia! Yeah I definitely got practice out of this, if you want me to show you the website/how I got this I can help you after class one day! I just wanted to create something that would be unique and would be central to my theme for the blog and portray a little bit about me. I hope it makes a good first impression!