Bet you didn’t know that I…

I’m sure you’re all SUPER curious about what it is you don’t know about me. After almost a whole semester and a bunch of assignments, you might be thinking “Pfff, I totally know everything there is to know about this girl, nothing could surprise me!”

I mean, what else could there possibly be to learn after all of 3 months?

Well guys, I didn’t want to say anything before, but actually I’m an undercover FBI agent and I’ve just been monitoring the “Gateway to the Minor in Writing” course for super-top-secret confidential reasons.

OK, so that’s not really true. Sorry to let you all down after building up the mystery. I know you’re probably pretty disappointed.

And yeah, I’m that bored/desperately trying to procrastinate.

But back to the important stuff: what’s something you still don’t know about me, even after reading my papers from the semester. Well, I’m a BCN major and I spend a lot of my (free?) time involved with research here. I work in a research lab and I’m basically there everyday (except Saturday and Sunday, gotta have some break time). I’m super interested in learning about how our brains work, and lately I find myself specifically interested in memory stuff. I think research in the psychology/neuroscience area is sooo interesting because there really is SO much that people don’t know yet, but there are all kinds of really cool new technologies and techniques that are helping people to figure it all out. I want to go to grad school for neuropsychology or something (there are all these slightly different names for slightly different fields that are really all doing similar stuff, so I don’t know exactly which one), and I want to keep doing research in that area.┬áDespite the fact that I devote much of my time and energy to this stuff, I really haven’t discussed it at all in my writings for this class. In my repurposing piece, I briefly included a source from someone who did studies on how music affects that brain, but that was hardly the main point of my paper. I’ve tried to stay away from writing about psychology stuff because I already write about it and learn about it and work with it every single day, and I wanted to stray from that and do something different (but also interesting) and less strictly researched in this class. And I think I’ve done that, and it’s been fun. But I definitely felt like the same curiosity and questioning that is such a big part of lab research was also important to me in this class, and I found myself thinking and asking questions in similar ways here, even though it was about different topics.

So that’s something.

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

2 thoughts to “Bet you didn’t know that I…”

1. You had me laughing in the beginning a lot! I enjoyed it. Also, I think neurology, just how the brain works in general is super interesting! I actually used to want to in some way or another study the brain, because you’re right, there’s so much we don’t know! And what always amazed me (this is probably predictable) is how little of our brains we actually use. Anyway, I think it’s really cool that you purposely stayed away from focusing, in this class, on what you already focus on as a major! But, I think you could definitely work that into your portfolio, even if it’s just saying basically exactly what you did above!

2. Ahhh this is so cool! The human brain is super interesting, even through the little I learned about it in the psychology class I took freshman year. It sounds like the research is a huge part of your life, and it’s really cool to see that the type of questions and curiosity you find in your research you also find in writing.

There is a lot to question so far in the MIW it seems like – why are you writing, how do you write, what can you revise, how can you revise it… the list goes on and on!