Blogging World, Here I Come

Up until this point, I thought I had my blog all figured out- well it looks as though there’s probably some major thematic work to do. Here’s the story: I’ve become enthusiastic lately about the prospect of adding fun tabs (that aren’t directly related to academic writing) that reveal different aspects of myself that I sadly don’t usually get to talk about. Needless to say, I want to bring a lot of components into my portfolio BUT most importantly- and this sums up my dilemma- I want to stick to a more figurative tone/style of writing.

One of the biggest weaknesses in my writing is being too wordy (yeah this blog post is approaching that point already) and not straightforward enough. I think that a lot of this stems from the fact that I love being figurative, that I love reading figurative pieces that make me think outside of the box. Although I cannot necessarily channel this style in its entirety, because that would be rather obnoxious, I want to make my own abstract phrases and metaphors more tangible for the reader, so that they more clearly convey the ideas I want them to. Mostly, I am thinking presently about the contextual introduction.

Ideally, the portfolio will highlight

1.)  A style of writing that channels these figurative, metaphorical, abstract (okay you get it) tendencies, but also improves/builds upon them by making them more accessible. I want to imply facts about myself, not state them explicitly.

2.)  In less broad terms/ Let’s tone it down- I want to bring in other forms of media to add contrast to my writing. I plan on associating each piece of my writing with a picture from my past – after all, my contextual intro focuses partially on the importance of documentation and nostalgia (at least for me). It allows me to think about my past in comparison to where I am now in a clearer way. It helps me to realize that I am on my own path, even if that path isn’t a straight shot. Sometimes we need these tangible aids to guide us, when our minds are too clouded to pick out what’s important and what’s not. Simultaneously, this allows me to bring in those outside interests, such as photography.

3.)  I want this portfolio to create its own nostalgia- visuals will be very important, as they will be used in unison with pieces of writing.  I guess in a way, writing is a form of documentation à so I guess that’s nostalgia too

So, if you couldn’t tell, I’m probably most excited about the fact that I finally get to showcase this more “figurative” style that I have never had the chance to build upon, outside of my own secret writing. As for concerns, there are many. Ugh. I think that I still have some streamlining/condensing to do, in order to establish one concrete theme. Also, I have to still figure out how I want to set up my 220 pieces- do I want to use tabs? Do I want creative names for the tabs? How do I incorporate the overall theme into these titles? Basically I am most concerned about being able to connect everything back to one coherent point. And of course, I have much to learn about WordPress and how I can customize it more. Hopefully I don’t get lost in the blogging world anytime soon.

And if you’re interested, here’s the link to my (so far) portfolio!  hilleliz.wordpress.com

Hillary Crawford

Let's start with the basics- I am a third year honors political science major here at the university, with a minor in Writing (obviously, right?) and Global Media Studies (have to fit in those film classes). Until this summer, I was basically clueless as to what I wanted to pursue. "Grown-ups" always asked what I wanted to do with a political science degree. Simultaneously, fellow students around me declared they had finally found their destined direction in life. Well, all of these comments just made me wish that I had a set goal, that I knew what I wanted to do in the foreseeable future. But I didn't. After I came to terms with the beauty of keeping my options open while continuing to learn about a broad spectrum of topics, my lightbulb finally went off. Oh, the irony. Long story short, I think I want to be a journalist. But like everything in life, this is always subject to change.

5 thoughts to “Blogging World, Here I Come”

1. I think this is a really interesting idea! It’s always incredibly challenging, but incredibly rewarding to be able to try a new type of writing that pushes us outside of our comfort zones. I also really like the way you lean towards the figurative, there is a very distinct tone in your writing that brings out a very personal feel.

I’ve also learned that visuals are incredibly important when developing our eportfolios. The whole idea of using the web as a major tool has now multiplied the prospects that we have for creating this “nostalgia” that you reference and gives us enormous flexibility in creating a world that we can represent as entirely ourselves.
    Awesome work, love the look of the portfolio!

2. I really like the idea of associating each piece of writing with a photograph from the past. I think that works perfectly with your theme of nostalgia and also will be a great insight for the viewer since you don’t have a formal “about me” tab. I’m also very intrigued by your different tab names. I think this is a unique way to separate your portfolio from the many others that will have the expected “writing 220”, “about me” , etc.

I don’t know if you guys have talked about this in your class, but one idea that we talking about that I think would go well with your portfolio (especially the music=me tab) is the use of a soundtrack in the background. I don’t know exactly how it works but I know that people in my class have done it!

3. I’m really glad that you’re also using your portfolio to showcase some things you wouldn’t normally get to. I’m also sort of doing that and it’s really exciting! I think it’s great that you feel comfortable to do so on such a public forum. That’s one thing I know I’ve been struggling with. However, I think by doing this, you’re going to make a much more personal page that will help people really understand you and your work. Which I think is the point… although now that I think about it, I don’t exactly know the point of the portfolios.

Anyways, it looks great so far! I really love your intro paragraph because it makes the reader think about the phrase “out of the blue” and sort of reflect which is always a good thing to start off with. I think that you’ll find that many of your concerns are addressed with time. Once you start importing your work and organizing pages, you’ll find that cohesive theme just falls together on it’s own. Don’t stress about it! We’re all just kind of all over the place still.

4. Aweome idea with the visuals- I want that to be a big part of mine too because I love visiting sites and avoiding the text but letting the visuals make the story. WordPress is definitely difficult- I started off with that too and just gave up, but I have noticed a lot of other blogs I have been looking into use wordpress and it looks very sleek. You’re very brave for trying out all these challenges!

5. I think it is really great to see how honest you are, not only in this particular blog, but how honest you plan on being in in your portfolio. I think many people shy away from the personal side of things when they have to share their writing with strangers, but its clear that you aim to do the opposite, which is surely refreshing.

I really like the idea of adding different kinds of media to your portfolio. While my photographs will not all be pictures from my past, I do plan to use a different picture for every piece. I think its a great way to persuade people to actually want to read the piece. Everyone always says, “show don’t tell,” and we all know a picture is worth 1,000 words.

As far as your concerns go, I definitely share some of them. I am not really sure how to establish a clear theme. I think as my portfolio starts to come together a little more, the theme will become much clearer. The same probably goes for you. I am also unsure if I should use creative names for my tabs. I am breaking my college writing down by the year in which each piece was written, so I am not sure if I should specify it in that way or come up with something different. Everyone’s writing is different, so I am sure you will make a decision you are happy with.

I am looking forward to seeing how your portfolio turns out.