Color Theory #StyleChallenge

My Re-mediation project is extremely visual so I thought I would look into color, because while my photos will and should be the focus of my ads, the background color and text color can be just as important in influencing viewers’ responses to and opinions of an ad. I came upon an article on coloring meaning and psychology on Squidoo and it was extremely interesting and informative.

Some colors that I think will be useful and I plan on employing are blue, grey, and red. Blue is often viewed as trustworthy, dependable, and committed. It is the least gender specific color and has equal appeal to both men and women. Grey is the color of intellect, knowledge, and wisdom and many designers recommend it as a background color due to its neutrality. It is controlled and carries authority. Red is a powerful stimulant and can evoke enthusiasm. It is inherently exciting, draws attention, and encourages action and confidence, though too much may be overpowering and evoke negative emotions, such as anger. These colors cover most of the positive emotions I hope to get out of people who look at my ads.

I also read about the importance of balance between image and text (which we all know from personal experience with media), but I think balance between colors is extremely important as well. I obviously don’t too much of one color, but I don’t want to include every color possible. The colors need to interact positively while still appearing visually pleasing, so I’m playing with different hues of these colors to see which combinations work best with the tones of my photos.

2 thoughts to “Color Theory #StyleChallenge”

1. Sophia, I know I’m not in your blogging group, but this color idea really struck me. I hadn’t even thought about the ways in which color might affect an audience, and I think it’s great that you’ve considered this with your project. I’m actually creating a magazine cover for my remediation project, and you’ve inspired me a little bit to consider the psychology behind each of the colors I might use. I’ll definitely take a look at the Squidoo article you referenced- thanks for sharing! Hope your project is going well!

2. This was really interesting Sophia. You have inspired me to go back and cheek out more info on style. I think it is oddly similar to your food articles too, where simple aspects like a bigger plate may cause you to eat more food, colors on a webpage may cause you to have a different opinion of it. I will be very curious to see the outcome of your site. Maybe you could use a different color scheme for each style of paper?? Who knows, perhaps red for more personal and argumentative ones, and greys and blues for more academic, professional ones.