Digital Rhetoric with RSA Animate

After our class discussion on the digital rhetoric collaborative blog carnival pieces I couldn’t stop thinking about a video I had seen freshman year in my Sociology 102: Culture, Markets, and Globalization course. It turns out that the video I was thinking of is one of many produced through RSA Animate (click to check out some of their other videos if you’re interested!). The specific video I had seen in class presents the crisis of capitalism by David Harvey and thanks to Katie’s tech challenge (!!) I now know how to show you the video right here:

I absolutely love this video as an example of digital rhetoric. It combines audio, video, drawings, and text in a unique and entertaining way. It also reminded me of the sort of “disconnect” between academic essays and digital media we talked about in class. In my mind, this video is just as informative and effective as an academic paper. However, I wonder if a student wanted to turn in something like this to a history or polisci class what the professor would think. I wonder if one day we will reach the point where instead of requiring a paper, teachers will just give assignments in which the student can argue whatever is asked of them in any form of new media or traditional text form they desire.

One thought to “Digital Rhetoric with RSA Animate”

1. This is such a cool way to present information! I agree this shows as much, or more, than an academic paper – it is well researched and organized in a logical argument, with visuals that make it more interesting to watch than reading a paper on the same subject.

While it would be awesome if students could complete assignments in digital media (outside of Writing 220!) I wonder if professors will always prefer text because it’s easier to grade? Though I’ve never graded papers for a college class, it would probably be difficult to deal with collecting assignments in several different formats. Also, I’ve noticed many professors and GSIs who grade more on following the conventions of the paper (correct pages numbers, citations, etc.) rather than the overall argument. This might be holding professors back from giving more options in their assignments.