Drumroll………

So, really…what’s there to know?! I have to think about this question myself. I don’t claim to be a very secretive person, so this is kinda tough. Generally, I just kinda blurt out what I’m thinking (occasionally thinking before I speak).

Okay. If you read my essays from this class, you wouldn’t be able to pick out the fact that I’m a very nostalgic person. I know that’s pretty vague, so let me elaborate- I like to document everything significant (ehh, significant at least to me) that happens in my life. “Significant” could mean important events, or even just memorable moments.

I just want to be able to remember how it felt to be at certain points in my life. This sounds strange, I know- But I promise I’m not one of those hoarder people on TV. Even when I was little, I was the one taking home videos with my family, or what not, because even then, I knew I would want to look back at them. I also used to write a lot in a journal (NO not a diary). This has tapered lately, due to a general lack of time. However…writing in my journal is on my list of things to do. Yes, I like making lists. They keep me organized.

Anyway, in short (or not really), I want to remember how I used to be, so that I can track how I’ve changed and learned over the years. Documentation is my way of doing this, my way of making things last. In a lot of ways, the MIW has taught me to do this in a new way, in that for each essay I have written, I have had to look back. Although my essays may not be a snapshot of my life however many years ago, they represent the sum of everything that’s affected or inspired me over the years. Nostalgia1

Hillary Crawford

Let's start with the basics- I am a third year honors political science major here at the university, with a minor in Writing (obviously, right?) and Global Media Studies (have to fit in those film classes). Until this summer, I was basically clueless as to what I wanted to pursue. "Grown-ups" always asked what I wanted to do with a political science degree. Simultaneously, fellow students around me declared they had finally found their destined direction in life. Well, all of these comments just made me wish that I had a set goal, that I knew what I wanted to do in the foreseeable future. But I didn't. After I came to terms with the beauty of keeping my options open while continuing to learn about a broad spectrum of topics, my lightbulb finally went off. Oh, the irony. Long story short, I think I want to be a journalist. But like everything in life, this is always subject to change.

3 thoughts to “Drumroll………”

1. I think it’s awesome that you try to document everything in your life. It’s so nice to have thins to look back on and remember! I’m sure 20 years down the line it will be really nice to look back on all these different things you’ve done in your life. I wish I took more pictures/ videos of things, because it’s always fun to look back on them (even when they’re super embarrassing!)
    Now that you mention it, I guess it’s true that all our assignments this semester have involved looking back in some capacity. I hadn’t thought about that, but it’s kinda cool. It’s been nice to get to revisit old ideas and thoughts, and I feel like we should all do it more often.
    Now I’m being cheesy.

2. This is really cool, I kind of wish I was more nostalgic/kept better track of my memories and experiences. I often find myself trying to find pictures from trips and when I can’t find them I get really sad.. 🙁

It definitely does relate to the work we’ve doing in the MIW so far though – revising papers is kind of like reflecting on yourself and the work you’ve done over the years.

3. It seems like your love for nostalgia makes you a natural writer. Writing is really just documenting our thoughts. If you document impulsively then you have natural writing skills that most other people don’t have.

I agree with what Sarah said – the MIW so far has been quite a bit of reflection. There have been reflections on ourselves, reflection on old essays we wrote, and reflections on our classmates blogs. It seems like you’re perfectly tuned to do this kind of work.