Festival of Dangerous Ideas

I’m not sure how many people are familiar with the Australian event FODI but it seems absolutely incredible! I sort of stumbled upon it because I was reading this article: How economic growth has become anti-life¬†(which is not exactly related to this class…or the rest of this post…but it’s a great article that everyone should check out!!). Anyways, the article ended with, “Vandana¬†Shiva is a guest of the Festival of Dangerous Ideas, Sydney Opera House, this weekend”. The name of the festival was enough to spark my interest, so I clicked the link and now I’d do just about anything to be in Sydney this weekend.

As I was browsing through different topics and speakers I clicked on, “Stories Matter More Than Facts” a panel led by Kirby Ferguson, Evgeny Morozov, and Simran Sethi. The line in the description that really caught my attention was, “New digital tools are enabling a new breed of storytellers to breathe life into science and politics”. It seemed really applicable to our discussion of digital rhetoric, and to some of the remediating projects — especially the people who are turning more academic papers into videos or print advertisements. Now if only we could attend the panel to find out more..

2 thoughts to “Festival of Dangerous Ideas”

1. I saw this title, and couldn’t help clicking, then I saw your link, and got lost in the website for much longer than I had anticipated. If you decide to go to Australia, let me know and I’ll buy the next ticket there.

This is a really interesting way to broadcast sensitive issues and to create a forum for expression. One of the links I clicked on was “Time to Get Soft on Crime.” Which seemed such an odd thing to say that I couldn’t help but see what this author was all about and if he was going to throw a curve ball in our direction. His hypothesis is that the “tough on crime” act perfected by politicians is doing close to naught, or even, potentially increasing crime. Going soft on crime may actually provide the resources to turn criminals in the right direction, and to create the environment conducive to driving down crime by focusing on the crime, and not the theatrics of actors using it to further their own careers.

There’s a whole lot more on the website, and I’m absolutely in agreement when you say, “let’s go to Australia.”