Getting to Know Me?

What would one of my readers not know about me yet? Well that is a loaded question. Actually- I feel like my answer is kind of backwards.

My writing this semester has revealed more about myself that I ever expected it would. My Why I Write piece touched on personal experiences I don’t bring up unless necessary and my remediation project brought out my commentary on University teaching I didn’t know I even had strong feelings about. I think the biggest struggle for me is the opposite of what I thought the answer to this question should be. It seems like I should be responding saying that my reader doesn’t know I actually had this traumatic experience that is underlying each word I choose and that I’m keeping secrets- but that isn’t true.

My writing may as well be the only thing I am ever straightforward in. My work is honest and has found the space within me where I’m actually willing to say how I feel and describe it. I don’t even enjoy talking about that out loud actually (as I’m sure people could tell when we did that videotaping in class), my writing is personal in that it says what I sometimes struggle to say out loud.

I think my MIW work is awesome. Not in that I think my paper’s need blue ribbons on them, although that could be cool) but in that it is expanding these doors I didn’t know needed to be opened. I think that I can take a reader on a ride throughout my portfolio of seeing a completely different angle of myself that they may never meet. It is scary and a little weird to think about- but something I didn’t see coming and sometimes that can be the best types of things in all.

Jessica Golden

My name is Jessica Golden and I am an East Coast girl currently stuck in the snowy Midwest at the University of Michigan. I am now a student at Michigan due to tearing my ACL the week before my soccer recruitment and picking a college at whim, but so far it has worked out. I have two older sisters who live in New York City just like I plan too. Living on Long Island for my whole life has been like a bubble, and with no broken bones, no pets and no walks down a red carpet, I definitely feel ready to be a sponge, soak up life and do whatever comes along. Although I have never experienced typical things, like learning to ride a bike or attend sleep away camp, I enjoy finding the weird things in my life and embracing it all. I have lived in a hotel for 7 months (which is nothing like TV makes it seem), am on a quest to spend a day in all 50 states (current count is 26) and managed to sprain my ankle while climbing the Vatican in Rome. While my world is slowly expanding in Ann Arbor, my eyes are still set on returning to the big apple one day and changing the world (for the better) one lawsuit or public policy at a time!

3 thoughts to “Getting to Know Me?”

1. Jess!
    I can’t wait to see your portfolio and especially after seeing your website for the re-mediation. It’s really cool that you’re finding yourself more in your writing than in anything else and it’s also really cool that you’re excited about that. I think I can definitely relate to what you’re saying about this class pulling things out of you that you weren’t aware of before. For my Why I Write and for a lot of what’s going on my portfolio I began writing poetry again and more creative pieces which are different than what I face every day in my science major.

I get where you’re coming from about getting to write on topics you didn’t know you felt so strongly about. This class definitely has let us all kind of find new interests and I think really help cultivate in ourselves new thoughts about things we rarely think about on a day to day basis.

Anyway, I can’t wait to see your portfolio!

2. I’m the same way! One of my main topics in the “Why I Write Essay” had to do with the outlet that writing gave me that speaking couldn’t. I tend to write down everything that I can’t get down and that sometimes inhibits me as a speaker, especially when I need to talk about something serious. I’m really excited to see how you’re going to form your portfolio as a sort of “sneak peak” to your life. It can almost be some sort of open diary that you have your reader glance in to.

3. I think that it is great that you can have an outlet through writing to say things you wouldn’t say out loud. It is important to have something like that. I wrote about that in my why I write essay because I feel similar about my writing.