It’s Nice To Meet You

My hope for my e-Portfolio is that when people stumble upon it, they learn about a person instead of just being handed a few good pieces of writing to read and think about. I am in the process of creating a portfolio that represents all aspects of who I am as a student and as a creative individual because I touch on all of the varying sides of me in the numerous pieces I have written this semester. Each piece, whether it is the ‘Why I Write,’ the repurposing or the remediation, all are strong descriptions of who I am, what I believe in and what I am working towards. So, it would only make sense that these same ideas are portrayed in a cohesive and visually appealing way in my final portfolio.

I am going for simple. Not in a lazy, cutting-corner type of way, but rather, an uncomplicated, clutter-free, decisive and purposeful way. This presentation will implicitly highlight exactly what I am trying to argue—that simplicity is what I am striving for, in my writing and in my life. My pieces describe the journey that I have taken up until this point, and I hope to create a portfolio that showcases this journey and leaves room for my next discovery.

I am most excited about walking away from this class with a concrete portfolio that is a summation of all of my work. I can take this tangible compilation with me to job interviews and show it off to friends and family. I am proud of it and excited for it because it is a raw representation of my journey, my hard work and the incredible amount of knowledge I have gained from my years here at the University of Michigan.

This blog post is really optimistic about me completing the blog in the exact way that I picture it. Now is the time for me to be a tad realistic. I am technology-incompetant. So, I have high high hopes for my final e-Portfolio, but I also must remember (and warn you,) of my incredibly low level of computer skills. I would love to sit here and say I can code for hours, but there is no need to lie! I am nervous but more excited to see how much I can learn on WordPress in a short matter of time and see how well it translates into my final portfolio.

Here is a link to my work-in-progress… http://annajber.wordpress.com

Enjoy and be critical!

6 thoughts to “It’s Nice To Meet You”

1. It seems like you have a great idea for what you want your portfolio to be. I was thinking similarly about trying to encompass my whole self in my portfolio. You seem to have come up with a great way to do that through your idea of simplicity.

I’m interested to see how this idea that you try to aim for simplicity in your life and writing will come out as well. I think the theme will definitely help your portfolio from becoming overwhelming. It’ll be great to see how it turns out.

2. I really love the idea of using the portfolio as a representation not just of your writing but of your journey as an individual. It looks like you’ve already got a good start on the actual site, and I think especially with your theme of simplicity the technology really shouldn’t be too bad! we’ve got so many resources it’s scary.

3. I really like the focus on simplicity. It allows readers to really focus on the content and intent. Also like how you are considering the uses of the portfolio beyond just as a project for the Minor writing class. It’s really cool that you plan on using it for professional reasons as well. Good luck!

4. Hi Anna! For being “technologically incompetent,” your portfolio looks really good! I’m definitely getting the simplicity vibe, and the home page is really well put together. I also like how you have a tab for drafts. It lets you have the opportunity to put your draft process up, but doesn’t necessarily throw it in your viewers’ faces. Good job so far!

5. I definitely also had my worries about this e-portfolio because I’m not good with technology either, but your portfolio looks great anyways! It’s pretty daunting working with new technology like this as well since it’s a project you want to do so well on, but I think that yours is going to turn out well. I am really interested in the ways that you are planning on portraying you as an individual versus your pieces of work telling the story — this is something I have been working on in my portfolio as well. Did you have any plans to tie this together as a theme, or were you planning on using any special aspects?
    I am super excited to see your final portfolio! Best of luck with everything!

6. I feel like with the tabs that you have set, people will really get to know you through this portfolio. Also your photography is beautiful! The cover photo is also calming and contrasts nicely with your background. Great job so far!