My E-Portfolio Attempts…

So I’ve started working on my e-portfolio a bit and have picked out a theme I like and everything, but I haven’t uploaded any of my writing to it just yet. I still want to tweak a couple of my assignments from this semester, so hopefully I’ll have a bit of time to work on that over Thanksgiving break.

I think I’m mainly going to try to just have my portfolio focused on my assignments for this class. I’ve been debating what else I would add, and if anything I think I’d like to put assignments related to the stuff I talk about in my papers from Writing 220.

In my “contextual introduction” to the blog, I talk about research and how the type of thinking involved in doing research translates into the kind of thinking I do when writing. I think that idea will do a good job of changing the way my portfolio comes off, but also I definitely don’t want the whole idea of research stuff to take over the entire thing and become the focus.

One thing I’m still struggling with is trying to figure out what background images to use! The theme I chose allows for a photo as the background for pretty much everything, and I really liked that, but now I’m having trouble deciding what I want to use as my photo. Right now the background image is a picture I took of a bicycle. I chose it because it’s super colorful and eye-catching, but other than that it doesn’t have a whole lot to do with my portfolio. But maybe that’s okay. I don’t know.

After re-reading my blog post I think the gist of it is that I still pretty much have no concrete idea of how everything’s going to turn out.

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

5 thoughts to “My E-Portfolio Attempts…”

1. The problem of figuring out what to include is something that I was thinking about for a while too. I’ve ended up expanding it into anything that I thought relevant to my theme. I’ve included travel pictures, videos, and stories that I’ve heard that I think helps to build my message. Problem with this is that I hope everyone sees the theme as clearly as I still do because I do want to maintain consistency. I do like your idea of keeping it concentrated on class writings since it provides a more unified tone. I’m also really curious to see how you will combine this double theme of research and a blog. I think it has great potential to create a very unique environment since research and creativity are sometimes seen as at opposite ends of the spectrum. I’m also very curious to see how you link the two and exactly how you think these two types of thinking are related. It’s very interesting to see how we process different things and how it is similar or different.

2. I don’t think it is necessarily an issue that you still haven’t uploaded any of your writing. As long as you are set on your theme and you are able to build your site the way you want it to, your writing can be added later. I was also unsure of what I should put on my portfolio, but I ended up deciding to break it up by my years at the University of Michigan. I felt as though this was a good way to show how my writing has progressed through the years and up until this class. In this class, we’ve talked a great deal about what makes us writers and how we grow as writers. I think breaking up my portfolio in this way is a good way to show this growth, and it could be something to think about. I like the idea about research and thinking related to that of writing and thinking. I think it is great for the “contextual introduction” because, right away, it tells your site’s visitors a little bit about yourself as a writer. I wouldn’t worry about it taking over the entire portfolio, as I’m sure the writing you decide to upload is diverse and will show your other great traits as a writer.

3. I definitely agree with all that has been said about not being certain of what pieces to include. I think for some people it’s great that they knew exactly what they wanted to include from the start, and were then able to build the portfolio around it. However, I know for myself and many others it didn’t really work out that way. I sort of just started creating the portfolio and the farther into it I got the more obvious it became as to what pieces would fit.

In terms of the use of images, one thing we talked a lot about in our class was making sure your images really serve a purpose in the portfolio. It’s so tempting to just include beautiful pictures of nature or skylines but in the long run, if these pictures don’t make sense or add insight to yourself or to the theme of the portfolio, the images can actually end up taking away from the cohesiveness.

4. I think the research thing is a really great concept! It’s truly something very important and it’s great you’ve found a way to incorporate that into your work. I’m in the same boat as you as far as wanting more time to work on it. Things have been really crazy and I’ve sort of put this assignment on the back burner.

My advice to you is that you should put up any work that you think really highlights your writing. Don’t worry too much at first if it necessarily fits the theme. I know for mine, not everything is directly connected, but I have found that with an overarching theme things don’t have to exactly fit. They come together in whatever way the reader is going to put them in their own interpretations anyway. You should choose work that embodies what you want the reader to think about as they look through it.

Going along in that same thought, I think it’s okay if the picture doesn’t directly relate. As long as it sets a mood that you’ve designed then it’s done it’s job. If you have any rhetorical reasoning for choosing that specific image, then you have chosen right.

Good Luck! I can’t wait to see it!

5. I can totally agree with the whole background issue- that usually takes up most of my time when I go into edit and nothing else usually gets done- yikes! What I have been doing is using what image I really like and just going with it and altering the other stuff around it. Once you like the look of the website, everything seems to just fall into place 🙂