My Portfolio

I suppose I’ll start by introducing myself:  my name is David Hermanoff, and I’m a sophomore here at Michigan.  I’m from a suburb of Milwaukee, and my favorite hobby is skiing.   Anyways, I’ve had a fair amount of experience with WordPress, so I’m lucky in that I know what makes a successful site versus one that doesn’t run too smoothly.  I want my portfolio to be simple, streamlined and easily accessible.  I want to lay all of my cards out on the table for my readers; I don’t want to have my writing hidden away in little sub-areas on the blog.  Right now the overarching “theme” of my blog is access.  All of my writing gives reader “access” to behind-the-scenes things.  I shadowed the ROTC program for one piece, discussed the pros and cons to the GI Bill for college students, and talked about why I write.  So my blog really centers around granting access to my experiences and thoughts.  I’m really excited to show off some of the multimedia work I’ve done for this class in my portfolio.  I have at least two videos that I made that I’m planning on embedding.  This adds an interactive element to my blog that I’m really excited to unveil.  As far as what I’m struggling with, I think it’s mostly related to organizational issues: finding the right balance between “simplified” and “unorganized.”  I think it’s a thin line, and one that I need to be careful about.

David Hermanoff

I am a Sophomore from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In addition to the Minor in Writing, I am working towards graduating from the Honors History program. After college I want to earn a JD/MBA. My favorite hobbies are skiing and basketball.

6 thoughts to “My Portfolio”

1. Hi David! I really dig the theme of accessibility that you’re carrying through your portfolio. I’m also planning on making things very easy for viewers and being very direct with the way my portfolio is set up. I also think it’s really cool that you’re putting multimedia projects on your site. That will definitely help to break up the other writing a bit. Good luck with the rest of your work!

2. I really like your theme! And your pieces sound really cool and I’m glad you’re including pieces that are very different from what we work on in this Minor writing class. I like the idea of giving readers “access” to your experiences and thoughts; it’ll make your portfolio much more interesting and personal. I look forward to seeing it! Good luck!

3. The idea of accessibility is a great theme that can be very strong throughout your portfolio. It will be necessary to make it very clear though! I think it is a great way to connect your portfolio with your pieces. Its fairly hard to come up with a theme that is coming across through your actual writing as well as the portfolio, and you’ve done that.

I’ll be interested to see how you will be organizing your site. Will everything be on one site and just a log? Will you have links? Its a good idea to keep in mind the difference between simple and unorganized! Good Luck!

4. I know that a few of the different past cohort portfolios have been very accessible and had everything laid out on the first page for a reader to see, pick, and choose — and these ones were very popular! Do you have any ideas of how you plan on implementing this theme in your portfolio? I imagine that it’ll involve a good number of links, but I really like that you have this idea in mind… I’ll be excited to see the results!

5. Like everyone else has already mentioned, I think the idea of accessibility and transparency as a theme is pretty neat. It’s cool too that you’ve got experience in WordPress – I know for me (and I think a lot of our class), determining what makes a site streamlined and accessible is a task that seemed more straightforward than it really is, especially considering the different types of media we’re all working with. best of luck!