My Portfolio

I’m doing my portfolio on WordPress mostly because it’s the platform I’m most comfortable with. I wanted a layout that would allow me to include a background photo as well as a cover-style photo, but that was relatively minimalist when it comes to text and text organization (the theme is called Twenty Eleven, if anyone is interested). I’m including a Welcome page that will contain a reflective summary of the portfolio assignment itself, an About page that I’ll use to introduce myself, pages for each of the three major assignments for this class (Why I Write, Repurposing, and Remediating) and their draft structures, 2-3 writing samples from 5 of my other classes, a host of blog posts from this class and another class where I had to blog, and finally a resumé.

I really liked the idea of putting a resumé on my portfolio and being able to reference it as a source of writing samples in a job interview or a link to be able to give an employee (obviously I’ll make it available to my family and friends as well, but I want to be able to get more use out of it than just show and tell with people close to me).

I’m most excited about looking through all of my old writing samples and potentially adapting things to be more readable online (because let’s be real – who wants to read a six-page paper online?).

At this point, I’m not really struggling to figure anything out in terms of planning or navigation or organization or anything like that. It’s mostly just a matter of writing the introductory information for my writing samples and uploading and adjusting all of my samples. Essentially, I just need to devote time to putting things in the portfolio itself.

Take a look if you want! http://dylanbaig.wordpress.com/

6 thoughts to “My Portfolio”

1. Hey Dylan! I am in the same position as you in terms of being excited about looking back at old pieces I have written and transforming them to be more in sync with my current work in this minor. There is something so intriguing about going back to our old thoughts and perceptions and revising them weeks or years later. Seeing how time changes the way we think and feel has always been an interest of mine. I like how this portfolio assignment allows us to explore that concept in great depth while also giving us a chance to tie meaningful things all together. Your blog looks really great so far. As you said, you are clearly comfortable with the wordpress platform…lucky you! This will be great!

2. I love the idea of putting you’re resume on the blog. Nice way of opening the platform up to being more than just an academic project. I will say you might want to be careful to not lose focus of showing off your writing, but it sounds like this won’t be a problem

3. I’m digging the pizza background! Not sure if you’re planning to keep that, but I’m liking how it gives a more fun and upbeat vibe at the moment.
    I can relate to your struggles with writing the introductory reflective stuff. But it was definitely fun re-reading the samples I plan on uploading and revisit old ideas and trains of thought. It was definitely refreshing to read my own words again.
    If only we had more time to create the perfect portfolio we all have imagined. Good luck!

4. I really like the layout of your portfolio. This picture literally made me say, “Woah” out loud… it’s really cool! I also really like the background photo. It compliments the intensity of the “cover photo” picture you added.

It seems like you have a really good hold on the organizational aspect of your portfolio. I am excited to see how it pans out! Good luck!

5. It’s looking good! Simple, direct, with a bit of silliness out of the pizza pattern. I understand why you want to put your resume on there and make it more practical, but then you miiight want to scrap the pizzas haha. Depends on what you’re applying for, though — everyone loves pizza so maybe you’ll get hired on the spot.