Prayers for Bobby

prayersforbobby

Though I’m not in the RC (Residential College) I weekly attend one of their many forums because I really love the informal atmosphere of students running a pseudo-classroom. I’m also very interested in LGBTQA (etc) issues and get to engage in focused and more serious conversations at forum.

Well this past week we watched a made-for-TV movie called Prayers for Bobby starring Sigourney Weaver and others. If any of you have watched this then you will know how deeply emotional it is, but the main plot is centered in the life of a teenage boy named Bobby. He is gay and wants to be a writer but his parents, especially his mother, are religious and will not accept his “chosen” identity. They force him to go to therapy and engage more heavily with the church until they make him feel that they no longer love him for who he truly is. He commits suicide and this acts as a catalyst for the family and especially Bobby’s mom. She goes on to become a gay rights advocate in a time where being gay was highly stigmatized and associated with HIV/AIDS. She becomes the advocate that Bobby never had during his life and changes her attitude to affect the lives of other gay teens in a positive way that she never could for Bobby.

This movie affected me as one would expect: lots and lots of tears. But it also, strangely enough, made me think about my writing. I work very hard to have most of my writing have a very clear beneficial purpose that brings to mind controversial but important ideas. And a lot of the time I get some pretty harsh backlash. Not because it is offensive, but most people don’t understand why I would want to be so serious when all I’m doing is writing and no one’s going to read it anyway. And this really gets me down.

It’s when I see movies like this that I remember why I’m always so intent on being serious in my writing. I’m not one of the people to go around and remind people about the beautiful things in life; there are people who enjoy this and are very talented at it. I’m one of the ones that makes sure that those at the top with money and privilege don’t forget about everyone else. It may be a downer, but at least you have theopportunity to just have it ruin your moment, and not your entire life.