Programmering a #techchallenge

So I started my E-portfolio journey with a very specific idea in mind. Because of this deep conviction in a simple idea, I was totally convinced that I had to program a website myself, because this was the only way to accomplish what I wanted.

This was my basic idea:

eporthome

I wanted to have five or six circles in a circle that included images of food, appetizers, salad, dessert etc. I then wanted the mouseovers to say the word of what the image is depicting. This really simplistic idea, for some reason, I believed was unachievable so I endeavored on this long and arduous tech challenge of programming.

Now, I often use the term programmering to communicate how little I understand the act of interacting with a computer. I just wanted to clear that up in case there was any misunderstanding…

Anyway, I started this tech challenge just casually browsing the web and learning about the differences between html, html5, and css. Then I looked into what programs are the easiest to use to help you work toward this programmering goal. Many sites said that Adobe Dreamweaver is a good choice, and then there is also the free Google Web Designer. In case any of you are looking into doing this too, I definitely recommend Dreamweaver. Though it isn’t free, we have access to it through the U and the ease of use through previewing while you create your formatting is extremely useful.

I then started watching web tutorials on very easy formatting goals like including images and how to even create mouseovers. This is all very simple and, as I’ve learned, writing in html/css/whatever isn’t actually writing in a programmering language but using programming to format your website. It may look like a different language to a lot of people but it really isn’t; you’re just telling the application how and where to place your items. Real programmering looks like jibber jabber, and I’ll leave that to the professionals.

So after searching long and hard, and practicing with the help of a friend, I created this:

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 11.46.45 PM

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 11.48.19 PM

So, I think we can all agree that it’s cute, but considering the hard work that I put into this, I was really upset with the end result. It was going to take a lot more time and energy than I can commit to it, and I’m honestly just really happy with the fact that I now know how to do this whole programmering thing. This is why I’ve decided that I’ll probably end up using a program like wix/weebly/etc to just add the pretty and professional things that I want to come through while I am communicating my writing.

So, not a complete waste, but a little sad none the less.