Slam Poetry

I have to admit, I’ve never been too much of a fan of poetry. It’s a little confusing to me and people tend to read it out loud with strange voices and the structural aspects of it are confusing.

But Slam Poetry isĀ everything.

These girls kill it. I mean they are totally in sync, they speak from the heart, and they bring up a great message. It isn’t confounding or difficult to listen to or annoying. Here is what it is: thought-provoking. Sure, they could get the same point across through an essay or something, but it wouldn’t be as powerful or moving. Plus, these girls are just teenagers. Hail to the monsters.

And this guy. How on point is this? He takes one line that he overheard one friend say to another on a bus, and he threw it into a social context that made me listen and experience and see just a glimpse of the pain and suffering that rape and other violences impose on the world. Powerful stuff.

I don’t aspire to ever be as talented as these individuals; they are so great at what they do. But they have helped me see poetry in a whole new light and I really am enjoying this newly discovered genre.

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

2 thoughts to “Slam Poetry”

1. Wow, thanks for posting these! I definitely feel you on the newfound slam poetry love. I feel like I would have enjoyed poetry so much more earlier on had I been exposed to these kinds of artists rather than the more traditional forms I remember studying in high school, those just a necessary thing to study for AP exams. The second video (where did you find these btw?) reminds me a lot of T. Miller, integrating seemingly tiny moments into such emotional and weighty topics. It’s amazing how affecting the stories become when performed by their writers.

2. No problem! I have a few friends that go to school out East and they are always finding these cool cultural videos, infographics, etc. It bums me out sometimes that people at U of M don’t post politically/socially/economically relevant videos as much as they post Buzzfeed articles. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Buzzfeed, I just feel like people here get lost in the college culture a bit more than my friends at liberal arts schools. Luckily Facebook allows me to connect with them too so that I can link to all of these awesome videos!