tech-challenging

I’ve wanted to build my own e-portfolio ever since learning about the project and the amount of freedom we’re given in terms of design and overall purpose, but I knew nothing about HTML/CSS other than they’re used to spell out the general content/style of a webpage.

Codecademy provides a cute lil text editor built in with a series of exercises that take you step by step through fundamentals of whatever course you’re taking, which is super helpful when you don’t know why you’re making a mistake (in programming, every single line you type has the opportunity to mess up your program. I guess the same could be said about writing?). The prompts are also friendly, maybe a little too friendly sometimes (I think even my mistakes come with smiley faces), which again helps with morale considering how frustrating coding can be. And they give you badges! Look!

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 7.35.17 PM

I am finding all these discrete exercises a little weird since I’m so used to longer chunks of code all dependent on each other, but HTML is pretty much read top to bottom for content. Anyway, I think Codecademy is a pretty neat resource for anyone looking to learn not only HTML/CSS but other basic programming languages/concepts. That said, I think it’s even more helpful to have a specific project to work on to actually apply them because the exercises can seem really easy and then you realize you actually know nothing…which brings me to my e-portfolio. I’m starting with the basics and finding that even seemingly straightforward elements like navigation bars take a while to implement and customize. Building the portfolio will definitely take more work than I’d anticipated but I think it’ll all come together in the end! And an obligatory screenshot of my current homepage (ft. an awkward placeholder photo of Kilo and me):

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 10.06.49 AM
i think i’m more excited about the little c logo for copyright than anything¬†

Margot Kriete

Hi! My name's Margot. I study computer science, have super long arms, never skip breakfast, and will probably become a German shepherd lady (as opposed to those "cat ladies") when I grow up. I like to cook, read, run, change my mind, and write.

One thought to “tech-challenging”

1. This seems really cool! It’s interesting to see that you’ve found your own program that has allowed you to create the kind of portfolio that you want. I am on the same page as you when it comes to realizing you don’t really know much about the interface you chose to use for your eportfolio. I thought WordPress would be easier to use than it actually is… but it is November and I am still figuring it out! I know nothing about HTML/CSS but it seems like you do. I am happy you found Codecademy… the cover page of the portfolio you create on it looks really cool.