#techchallenge Embedding a Video

You know when you make things harder than they really are? Like making a mountain out of a molehill?

Yeah… just did that.

I wanted to learn how to embed a video for my #techchallenge. So of course I google it. I come across this video:

“Great!” I think. I find the embed button on youtube, copy the link, click onto the “Text” button, paste the embedded link, save the draft, and hit preview. Annnnnnd… nothing. Hmm…

So¬†of course it’s back to Youtube. Because Youtube doesn’t fail. And I’m a visual learner. So, yeah. I come across another video that alerted me to the fact that I needed to put the code into the HTML portion of the site.

Oh, duh! I was hitting the “Text” button instead of the “HTML” button! Silly Katie. All I have to do is… oh, wait, there isn’t an HTML button here. Where is the HTML button? There is every other button¬†but HTML. COME ON.

So what do I do? Of course, I google it. But not googling the real problem. No, googling how to find the HTML button. Because that’s obviously more useful to me, considering I code (note sarcasm).

So after rounds and rounds of searching WordPress with the great advice of great minds such as “planetthoughtful” and “drdel” on random coding website threads, I finally come to terms with the fact that maybe I’m not meant to embed videos. Maybe I’m only meant to use pen and paper, and that I should just turn off my laptop and bury it in the backyard because technology is no friend of mine.

But then, a silver lining. I accidentally click on a link that takes me to the “help” site of none other than the creators of WordPress (who I really should have consulted initially, but hey, I’m stubborn). And guess what guys? You just copy and paste the link! Not the embedded link, not some fancy HTML coding place where you have to insert it, nope, just right onto the post.

The Answer to My Question

Well there ya go. Who woulda thunk?

So, my fellow Minor in Writing friends, if WordPress is difficult or confusing or challenging for you like it is for me, check out the help section. It might just save you a solid half hour of annoyance and frustration.

Blog on!

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

3 thoughts to “#techchallenge Embedding a Video”

1. Haha I love that you just struggled as much as I know I would. No chance I would have thought to do that either. I am about to start my tech challenge and I have this feeling that I will be doing just about everything you tried. Technology…. I love it but I really really hate it.

2. Hahaha it was so difficult but it could have been so simple. Technology is great when it does what you want it to do, and awful when it doesn’t. Good luck!!

3. But you did it! congrats! I have the same love/hate relationship with technology (crossing my fingers Comcast doesn’t drop my internet for the 90th time today before I post this comment). Computer science means I’ve gotten really good at Googling.. thanks for the wordpress resource though!