The Skier

Yesterday, when my roommates, along with the entire student body, were whining about the first snowfall, I became extremely excited.  You see, I was born in Denver, and ever since I was two years old, I’ve skied every single winter.  While this seemingly has nothing to do with my writing, the fact is that when I’m skiing, I do some of my most creative thinking.  My college Common App essay was the brainchild of an April ski trip my Junior year of high school.  This brings me to my next point: putting personality and voice in writing.   There’s no way you would have known that I like to ski in any of my MIW work unless I told you outright.  But, I think that 90% of a writer’s personality and voice can be channeled through writing.  This is particually evident in my Why I Write piece as well as my Repurposing Project.  I feel that with these two pieces, I really did a great job of incorporating my voice and personality into the work.  Of course, I’m not perfect at it, but the one thing I feel that I’ve really learned to do in this class is properly conducting one’s voice through writing.

David Hermanoff

I am a Sophomore from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In addition to the Minor in Writing, I am working towards graduating from the Honors History program. After college I want to earn a JD/MBA. My favorite hobbies are skiing and basketball.

2 thoughts to “The Skier”

1. I like the connection you make here with your skiing and your writing. Skiing to you is as much a part of life as your writing is and it would be a cool parallel to make in your portfolio. I grew up going skiing as well so I completely know what you are talking about when you say you have time to think creatively. I would agree that my clearest thoughts have occurred to me when going down those slopes. Consider exploring this idea in more detail in the contextual introduction! I think it will really interest your readers (including me!)

2. I love this connection! I’ve never been skiing, but I feel like whenever I’m out on a hike or a run it clears up my mind enough for inspiration to strike, so I for sure get what you’re saying. I like that you point out how you don’t need to explicitly state these background experiences for their influence on you to come out in your writing, but that doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be interesting to include a bit about that in the portfolio!