The start of this portfolio…

I’m super excited about this portfolio. Not in the lame kind of way, but as in this is really an assignment where you don’t have to work hard on it and then have it just be for this class and feel like it was a waste. I really do intend on using it beyond what is in this class and required. My portfolio is going to highlight a piece I wrote last year about walking in a fashion show, I having photos from it so I think that can be a really cool page. My portfolio will obviously feature my remediation project which is a website but I am really excited about attempting to insert a section in my portfolio for kind of mini viewpoint section where I can share ideas for things that I would submit to websites or the Daily at some point. Kind of like a “blog” but I’m not into having a real one of those.

I think that the viewpoint portion is what I am most excited about, because it will make my portfolio something beyond just my academic work. Something I am still trying to figure out is how I want to establish this balance of work and actually organize the tabs.

We shall see how it goes!!

Jessica Golden

My name is Jessica Golden and I am an East Coast girl currently stuck in the snowy Midwest at the University of Michigan. I am now a student at Michigan due to tearing my ACL the week before my soccer recruitment and picking a college at whim, but so far it has worked out. I have two older sisters who live in New York City just like I plan too. Living on Long Island for my whole life has been like a bubble, and with no broken bones, no pets and no walks down a red carpet, I definitely feel ready to be a sponge, soak up life and do whatever comes along. Although I have never experienced typical things, like learning to ride a bike or attend sleep away camp, I enjoy finding the weird things in my life and embracing it all. I have lived in a hotel for 7 months (which is nothing like TV makes it seem), am on a quest to spend a day in all 50 states (current count is 26) and managed to sprain my ankle while climbing the Vatican in Rome. While my world is slowly expanding in Ann Arbor, my eyes are still set on returning to the big apple one day and changing the world (for the better) one lawsuit or public policy at a time!

5 thoughts to “The start of this portfolio…”

1. You seem really passionate about your work, which is definitely the right way to start such a big project. I really like the idea of the viewpoint section. This is a really unique way to show your users the type of writer you truly are, your passions, what is on your mind, etc.

I think you will have a good mix of academic and non-academic writing once your eportfolio is finished, which I think speaks to the type of writer you are: a diversified one, and one who is excited about writing on the whole. Do you plan to create an overarching theme for you eportfolio? Or is it more so a collection of your work? Good luck!

2. I like the idea of highlighting a piece of writing, especially an event like that, that you were actually involved in. I haven’t really spent any time thinking about what my overarching theme will be or if I will focus on a particular kind of writing, and you just inspired me to do that! ha.

I also think it will be cool to use my e-portfolio outside of this class, thats why I would like to make it look good. I am also going to have a little trouble with organization, but I’m hoping seeing how others will do it will give me some ideas. Looking forward to seeing it.

3. I like how you’re going into this project knowing that it will be more than just a class assignment – it’s a great mindset to have to make the most of your portfolio!

It sounds like you have clear ideas about organization already, with your main essay and viewpoint section. Once you figure out how prominent you want each of those to be and where the required pieces will fit in, the rest should (hopefully) come pretty easily!

4. YOU GOT TO WALK IN A FASHION SHOW?! That is awesome. Your blog sounds like it will come a long nicely, and I think it’s really great that you’re so excited about it. I also really like that you want your portfolio to have a portion just for ideas. That’s really unique- not something I’ve heard other people talk about adding in- and I think it could be really valuable. As you progress, I wish you all the best of luck!

5. I think centering your portfolio with the fashion show is a REALLY interesting idea. Something that we talked about in class recently was how we all want good themes for our portfolios but often it is difficult to come up with something that represents who you are and also meshes with your writing. I think this will really work for you!
    It also sounds like you have a very distinctive voice in your writing, which is going to be super helpful for the portfolio. Good luck!