Web Writing Via HTML Embedding

When we originally viewed old minor in writing e-portfolios one of the first things that instantly stuck out to me were portfolios that forced me to download documents or open up lots of new links and tabs. Yet at the same time, nobody wants to see pages and pages of text pasted right on to a website. So, in order to find some sort of compromise I decided to explore “web writing” by embedding websites and pdfs right on to my site. It’s still a lot of text, but because the original formatting is present I don’t think it’s as overwhelming as an entire essay pasted right on to the site. The first thing I embedded was a PDF of my re-purposing project which is a blog post written for Consider Magazine. I first uploaded it as a link (in Wix – edit text, press link button, and click the document option) which opened it as a PDF in a new internet tab when you click the link. Then I copied this web address and embedded it onto the site (in Wix – add, apps, html, paste address). Viola – my blog post appears perfectly formatted right on the page! Although, I’m guessing there is a more efficient way to do this without going through the first step. I just did it this way because I originally wanted to try out the links so I already had it in that format.

Next up I decided to embed the minor in writing blog onto my site. I wasn’t sure how this would work out because I was afraid it would show up more like a screenshot than an interactive page. Thankfully, I was wrong, and with this same process (click add, apps, html, search for your name, and paste the minor in writing blog address to your work) it’s just like having another website right inside your own! Show’s how little I know about anything html related…

Feel free to check out my site, the two embedded pieces are on theĀ  “Why I Write” page and the “Repurposing/Remediating” page. The site as a whole is obviously still a mess so hopefully you won’t explore too much!

http://goddar05.wix.com/jamie-goddard