What Ships Are For

Pinterest Wisdom

I have these tiny moments of doubt. Why did I choose to make this project way harder than it needed to be? Why did I create a video when I could have just written a paper?

I have this tendency to take long sprints out of my comfort zone and only pause to look back when my comfort zone is far out of view. This has worked out for me in many different ways, but there are always times when I really freak myself out. Am I doing what is best for me, or am I just complicating things? Am I growing, or hindering my growth by taking all of these “unbeaten paths” that may lead to nothing?

One of these moments occurred today. I was getting really frustrated (that’s my new favorite word on this blog apparently) with the e-portfolio and the re-mediation project and revising my “Why I Write” video and I wanted to just do things in a super conventional way that maybe wouldn’t help me learn, but would help ensure that my project was perfect.

Then I was wasting time, as I usually do, on Pinterest (my personal account, not the remediating one) and one of my friends had pinned this quote. Wham.

I didn’t apply to the Minor in Writing so that I could remain the same writer I was and hold the same skills I held before I entered the program. I applied so that I could grow. I joined so that I could learn new styles, new formats, new techniques, new genres. I took this class so that I could explore medias that maybe I was too shy or too scared or too wrapped up with perfect to attempt before.

So my “Why I Write,” re-purposing, re-mediating, and e-portfolio projects are ships that I am sailing out of the harbor and into the sea, come hell or high water. Anyone care to join me?

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.

2 thoughts to “What Ships Are For”

1. I really like the “motto” you used! I agree that it can be difficult (and sometimes scary) leaving your comfort zone in order to become a better writer and improve your skills. But you’re spot on in that tis is what the MIW is all about. I can’t wait to see your work!

2. *Snaps* to you Katie! I’ve really enjoyed seeing you do so much more (ie. that website!) than what was expected for these projects, and I know you’re doing a great job! I know a lot of us are learning SO much more than we expected with this minor… I’m sure it’ll be exciting to see how we have grown at the end of this semester. Keep being awesome!