Who Knew?

This week, I would like to, yet again, blog about the process of my remediation process, however, this time from the technological perspective, rather than the writing, editing, structuring, or storyboarding perspective. Who knew that when I was accepted into the Minor in Writing program here at the University of Michigan, I would learn more about technology than I ever thought I could? When people think of writing, they often think of essays, papers, peer-editing, drafting and re-drafting, punctuation, sentence structure, and all things related to letters and words. However, I now have a entirely different perspective on writing, one that I would have never gained if not for the Minor.

Writing has a lot to do with technology. In today’s world, where technology is the center of mostly everything that we do, it has become the center of writing, editing, and publishing. Consider print journalism. Today, newsreaders use the Internet as one of their main sources for finding out about the world. Fewer and fewer people turn to print sources (newspapers, magazines, pamphlets, brochures, etc.). Instead, they simply turn on their computer and Google whatever it is they need to Google. Technology has made information-searching easy as pie. In this way, my remediation project in particular has taught me ways to take advantage of a world in which technology is so embedded and prevalent in our writing practices.

For my remediation project, I am creating a website on WordPress. Through this project, I have learned so much about presenting an argument through technological mediums. Not only has WordPress allowed me to insert text into its interface, but I have learned to insert links to online news stories, am in the process of creating an iMovie video for my site that will combine YouTube videos featuring cooking shows, and have uploaded a multitude of images to my site. All in all, my website has allowed me to use video, images, and links to create an argument, rather than simply text. Although this is not necessarily the most conventional way to write, and is far from the usual 5-page essay, my website has adapted to today’s version of what writing has truly become: technological.

Technology