words and code…and more words

Hi!

My thoughts about my portfolio are kind of two-fold at the moment – I’m in the process of coding (well, okay, I use that term loosely, HTML/CSS is a lot of cutting and pasting and manipulating existing templates and fun stuff like that) the basics of my portfolio and at the same time trying to develop an overall argument about my identity as a writer. Lots on my mind.

The first part is going pretty well, though! Aside from the scrolly thingy I so excitedly figured out in class on Tuesday, I’m making progress in setting up the overall navigation and trying not to worry about details like the color behind my drop down menu (though it’s taking a lot of restraint not to nitpick every detail). The projects in my classes normally require so much accuracy and precision that the ability to do whatever I want is so, so nice, and creating this portfolio really doesn’t feel like work at all. I mean, okay…it’s a little work. But the good kind.

On the more rhetorical side, I’ve been thinking more and more lately about my goals for the portfolio and the minor in general. My Why I Write essay centered around the idea of writing as an ongoing process towards honesty, and I think I want my portfolio to somehow reflect that general idea. I’m still deciding between a few essays to include, but I know I want to show a mix of different styles – I like the fact that in writing, we can convey a sense of roundness and different dimensions in people, and I think the portfolio as a composition could almost do the same for me. Plus I think the idea of writing turning something intangible (i.e. our feelings) into something tangible (words turning to a feeling in someone else based on something you wrote) is pretty amazing and I guess the portfolio in a weird way, turning all this code into something tangible, does that too.

My files are all in a separate private folder and are kind of painful to transfer when I’m not on a UMich computer 🙁 but in due time my cool scrolly thingy will be on the big fat Internet for everyone to see. Yikes.

Margot Kriete

Hi! My name's Margot. I study computer science, have super long arms, never skip breakfast, and will probably become a German shepherd lady (as opposed to those "cat ladies") when I grow up. I like to cook, read, run, change my mind, and write.

6 thoughts to “words and code…and more words”

1. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about trying not to be nitpicky about little details. I spent like an 45 minutes in class on Tuesday unchecking boxes that enable comments and show the “Like”/”Share” boxes at the bottom of the page. So tedious. It’s awesome that you’re having more luck with the HTML now though!

2. Hey Margot! I am in complete agreement with you that this is good work! I don’t know whether it is the fact that we can use any and all of our creative vices or that we are able to create a website that is entirely our own, but this has not felt like work work, and like you, I don’t hate it! I don’t know what coding you are doing, but you are way above me. I wish I could edit a template to do what I want, but I don’t have a techy brain. Seems like you have a great grasp on this portfolio, and I am excited to see what you create!

3. The fact that you’re coding your blog/website is really awesome and impressive! Showing off different styles of writing is neat but it might bog down everything else. I’m sure you’ll figure it out though!

4. I really like your analogy of writing making something intangible into something tangible to creating a portfolio. The scrolly thing was really cool when you showed me in class! I’m sure you’re going to make a lot of great progress with coding and incorporate a lot of cool elements most of us haven’t thought/are capable of even doing. Good luck!

5. First off, thanks for the lavishbootstrap color scheme tip! Second, I like the language you use in this post (‘big fat internet’) and the way you talk about our portfolios as being like a composition. I’ve never really thought of it that way before! It sounds like you’re on a great roll