All Done!

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 2.29.53 AMI’ve realized, low and behold, that I actually really enjoy blogging. Creating my e-portfolio became a slight obsession of mine. I would plan to spend an hour here and there tweaking things, but one hour often turned into four…or six. I fully intend to maintain this blog of mine after this course is over. I’ve realized that it is the perfect outlet for whatever I may want to express at any given moment.

Although WordPress was incredibly tedious (I had no background experience), I’ve come to find out how much it really offers. Although I am not totally satisfied with some of the visual aspects of my blog, I have come to terms with it. I think that the blog itself has become that essay I spend forever on and am constantly wanting to revise. It’s never perfect. But the beautiful thing about blogs is their dynamic nature — they’re meant to be constantly changed and improved upon.

So getting to the point here, my E-Portfolio is themed around documentation and the nostalgia that comes along with it. Much of Writing 220 required me to look back into my past to find inspiration I did not know existed. For me, documentation (whether it’s through video, photography, or writing) helps me make sense of my past, the path I’ve chosen to take, and I will choose to take it in the future. The tangible nature of these forms of documentation juxtaposes a more figurative and abstract style of writing that I have chosen to use for most of the blog. Also, I have to mention that I really enjoyed bringing in these forms of documentation. It allowed me to incorporate topics such as film, photography, and music, all of which I am extremely enthusiastic about.

The title “Out of the Blue,” along with the subtitle, which is a quote from my current journal (yes I write in a journal sometimes, NOT A DIARY) are explained in the two posts that are included in the slideshow on the homepage. I wanted to include a lot of visuals, and the slideshow allowed me to do so dynamically.

Overall, my blog is the embodiment of my realization that the decisions we have made in the past (whether they led us astray or not) have formed a path that is individual to us in a beautiful way, no matter how non-linear this path may be. We don’t have to make all of the right decisions to pave the “right” path. We have to make mistakes along the way and leave room to just explore for the sake of exploring. We have to want to solve the mystery behind our own path and documentation helps us translate these abstract concepts into more attainable and coherent realities.

Enough with all of that. Here is my E-Portfolio/Blog! Hope you find it interesting!

OUT OF THE BLUE  

Hillary Crawford

Let's start with the basics- I am a third year honors political science major here at the university, with a minor in Writing (obviously, right?) and Global Media Studies (have to fit in those film classes). Until this summer, I was basically clueless as to what I wanted to pursue. "Grown-ups" always asked what I wanted to do with a political science degree. Simultaneously, fellow students around me declared they had finally found their destined direction in life. Well, all of these comments just made me wish that I had a set goal, that I knew what I wanted to do in the foreseeable future. But I didn't. After I came to terms with the beauty of keeping my options open while continuing to learn about a broad spectrum of topics, my lightbulb finally went off. Oh, the irony. Long story short, I think I want to be a journalist. But like everything in life, this is always subject to change.