It’s really the end of the semester already?

I actually can’t believe this semester is over. It has been a LONG one, but at the same time, so short! I’m feeling pretty good and settled about things right now because I just turned in an 18 pager and I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders. And now that I’m officially “turning in” my e-portfolio too, I’m living in a delusion of being done with all my work for the semester. (Those exams next week don’t count for anything, right?)

I’m pretty happy with the way my portfolio turned out. I originally had a wordpress blog started, but a few weeks ago I switched to using wix instead. It took some playing around with, but I’m definitely much happier with the aesthetic and I was to integrate some pretty cool stuff into my site! One thing in particular I was excited about is on my last page. A while back when we were just playing around with blog sites and looking for cool blogs other people set up, I talked about a blog I saw that used a feature where if you scroll over a picture, you see text. I didn’t know how the site owners did it, but for some reason I just though this was a really awesome way to have an image AND text while keeping things pretty simple and visually appealing. It turns out that using wix I was able to do this (semi) easily which was very exciting for me!

I think my portfolio turned out pretty successfully for me. The “theme” of the whole thing is basically about knowledge, and how our knowledge evolves but at the same time, the more we learn, the more we realize we don’t know. So I formatted it so the tabs go from “newest” to oldest in terms of my knowledge, because I wanted to show that knowledge progress backwards starting from where I am now back to where I started from. I know this is a little counter-intuitive, but I thought of it like using the past to inform the present, so that (hopefully) the further back you go, the more it makes sense as to how I got to my end point. Now that I’m trying to write it out and explain myself, I’m not really sure if I’m making any sense.

And I keep saying I’m done with my site, but really this blog post has taken me like an hour to write, just because I keep noticing tiny details that I want to tweak on my portfolio every 5 seconds. But I’m really actually done now.

So thanks to everyone for all your help with writing this semester (especially to Julie)! It’s been fun getting to learn with all of you 🙂

And just in case you missed it, here’s another link to my portfolio: http://yisaacs.wix.com/writing220

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

One thought to “It’s really the end of the semester already?”

1. It was great seeing your portfolio at the showcase today – I would have never known you weren’t using wix from the beginning! Also, the poems you wrote when you were younger are adorable. I know I wouldn’t want anybody reading things I wrote in elementary/middle school, and I like that you feel comfortable sharing your early work!