Revising arguments

I am a big perfectionists and it always seems to follow me in everything I do. I am constantly looking back at things and think “No, no, no. That looks all wrong, did I not see that HUGE spelling error?” Or “This paper is literally my least favorite thing ever.” But the great thing about revisions in writing is that you CAN change. You can edit and resubmit. Sometimes with people and talking this idea doesn’t really work.

The other day I was with a friend and we got into a bit of a fight. I’m quite notorious for saying things-or writing things- that make no sense and really don’t explain what I’m trying to say. Naturally this happened and I blurted out something stupid that made him get all angry and upset and take off. Once he was gone I repeated what I had said over in my head and realized it was all wrong and it wasn’t what I meant. But the worst part about this is that once you say something out loud, it’s always there. You can’t cross it off or delete it. Your words are suspended right in front of you almost like taunting a child with a cookie. With the spoken word, the best revision is “I’m sorry”. And even though this helps the situation, it can never truly take back those words to revise them. In a sense, the apology and the explanation afterwards is like these writing reflections.

I wish sometimes that there was the possibility of revision when you speak out loud, but that’s what makes writing so special. I can change my mind a million times over and still never have the final draft of something.

One thought to “Revising arguments”

1. I love your idea of the apology being the reflection and I completely agree that when talking out loud it can be easy to say things you don’t mean and then get caught up in a miscommunication. I’ve never thought of revision/ reflection in terms of just talking to people, but I really think it’s a great way to think about it.

I often get really anxious about how others could potentially interpret something I say in a way I didn’t intend for them to. Thinking about the reflection piece of talking is definitely an important component of communication that often gets overlooked in casual conversation.