why i write, revisited

After suggesting in class today that it’d be nice to go back and revisit our Why I Write essays, I figure I might as well put my money where my mouth is (that sounds awkward. sorry. just needed a nice idiom there).

I initially wrote my essay inching toward the idea of honesty, and how I find the transparency that comes with writing so useful and necessary in my thought process. I’m still drawn toward this central idea (a reason I didn’t make many moves to revise my essay completely) but I’ve definitely broadened my definition after playing around with different forms of writing this semester.

Coding the portfolio, visualizing my essay, and even writing for my Techcomm class (something I don’t think I’ve talked about very often, I guess because a decent amount of the 1-credit class consisted of resumes/cover letters and what goes into a Powerpoint…super dry albeit useful stuff) have all pushed my definition of writing and its capabilities. I’ve learned the different considerations necessary for these different forms of writing – visual rhetoric for my remedation/portfolio, and the kind of precise, structured language necessary for technical communication. These spanning topics have made me think further about the importance of writing as communication for external sources, not just for my own (almost selfish?) needs to figure out the world and my brain. I guess these considerations would result in more of an extension of my original essay than a total revision. I’m excited to write for future courses in areas and departments outside of my comfort zone to push these boundaries even more.

Margot Kriete

Hi! My name's Margot. I study computer science, have super long arms, never skip breakfast, and will probably become a German shepherd lady (as opposed to those "cat ladies") when I grow up. I like to cook, read, run, change my mind, and write.

One thought to “why i write, revisited”

1. When I revised my Why I Write essay a couple weeks ago, it was definitely interesting to read about how I felt in the beginning of the semester and compare it to now. This class definitely changed the way I think as far as how I write, in the sense that it can do so much more than I originally thought if I am just open to trying new things. I’m also excited to continue writing in new ways