An Intimidating Idea (What hashtag are we using?!)

Hey y’all,

First off, we need to have a slogan/hashtag/symbol to signify which of our posts are coming from our class. Our Gateway Course used [Pika] as in Pikachu, but we definitely shouldn’t do the same thing…this is a new class and a new year! Perhaps we should do #Raichu? (that is what Pikachu evolves into when exposed to the Thunder Stone–don’t worry, I didn’t know that off the top of my head…I swear!). Just an idea.

Anyways, I’m experiencing some #projectanxiety as I think about the project idea that I have floating around in my head. It’s not because I’m not interested in the topic or don’t think I can produce something unique out of it, but because it is much more abstract than the writing I am more comfortable doing.

To keep a long story short, I love Harry Potter. In middle school and high school, I read each book at least 5 times, no exaggeration. Every time my parents would see me reading the books, they asked me why I was doing it for the millionth time. And I had no good explanation. Why did I continue to want to escape into this alternative world despite knowing exactly what was going to happen in every chapter of every book. The same is true for TV shows…even though I’ve seen every episode of Scrubs at least twice, I can’t help watching and imagining myself in JD, Turk, Carla, and Dr. Cox’s world. Why do I do this? Am I simply escaping from my own boring world (at least in comparison to Harry and JD), or is there more to it. Ray pointed out that there is a psychological phenomenon called Escapism that more or less addresses this exact topic. My project, as I see it now, is going to use myself as a case study to examine this phenomenon and delve into my own theoretical perspectives on whether or not my personal experiences mirror escapism directly or if there is more to this phenomena that meets the eye.

However, being theoretical ain’t my thing! That’s why I’m intimidated about this project idea. It has potential, but its very new and very different than what I’m used to.

I definitely think it’s going to be interesting to explore yet I have no idea what the final form will look like. Any suggestions for me? I’m all ears!

2 thoughts to “An Intimidating Idea (What hashtag are we using?!)”