Social Media and Loneliness

I am currently enrolled in a class on the social consequences of mobile communication, which has really got me thinking. Are social media platforms encouraging the feeling of loneliness by creating superficial connections? For my Capstone Project, I seek to explore this idea further, delving into why in today’s society it is so difficult to “unplug” ourselves from social media technology. Even right now as I write this blog post am I checking my Snapchats, instagram feed, etc. Its completely encompassing!

The idea of being alone together has been studied by Sherry Turkle in her book, Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other. The Vinmeo video –The Innovation of Loneliness – explains the concept really well. With my project I seek to combine both theoretical perspectives on the matter with personal analyses of my own social media usage, hopefully arriving at some sort of conclusion on the effects of social media usage on connectivity satisfaction.

Some overarching questions I have come up with:

• Do social media platforms actually help to solve the problem of isolation or do they simply mask deeper issues?
  • How do people feel before, during, and after using social media platforms?
  • What trends over the past decades have led to an increase in a feeling of loneliness?

3 thoughts to “Social Media and Loneliness”

1. This is a very interesting topic and you make a very interesting point! I never really thought about it exactly in that way but I always felt like social media and networking adds to loneliness and takes away from real connections only to create superficial connections. In todays world nearly everyone is deeply connected and in my opinion addicted to social media and networking. It’s really out control because I know how much time I spend on Facebook and texting but I can’t stop! O_o Sometimes I hate to admit that I wish none of it existed. It seems like it causes more harm than any good!

2. I think you are making a really good point that not a lot of people are talking about! I am interested in what you are researching already! Like most people I find it hard to be away from social media for long because its a unique way of communication. I think your overarching questions will lead to an interesting project!

3. I’ve always been interested in this topic, as I believe our generation is overwhelmingly impacted by social media and the fact that it was created during our formative years. I hope you choose to limit yourself from social media for a small amount of time, as we discussed in class the other day, I’d be very interested to see how you felt before, during and after that process. Seems like you have great balance with this approach, looking forward to seeing this project progress!