The Great Migration

Here’s what I found interesting while doing my research proposal!

http://www.history.com/topics/great-migration

The Great Migration was “the relocation of more than 6 million African Americans from the rural South to the cities of the North, Midwest and West from 1916 to 1970.” Many left because of lack of economic opportunities and because of the segregation laws. They went north for the large opportunity of industrial work. I learned about this and I thought it was very interesting. I never knew about it and I don’t recall ever learning about it in school. I knew many blacks moved north for somewhat of a better quality of life but I didn’t know the number was large and that it was specifically called The Great Migration.

ah5_m002

3 thoughts to “The Great Migration”

1. I did not know that either – very interesting! I agree with you – I feel like I know “history” because of class, but there is definitely more history out there that I don’t know about! I think as you keep researching the history, you’ll find some interesting things!

2. I think this topic has a great balance between academic research and personal inquiry! I’m excited to see how you combine the two into your capstone project. I’m sure your family has some really insightful stories as to what it was like to be a part of the Migration during the time.

3. That’s very interesting, I was not aware that the movement was called the “Great Migration.” I wonder if this mass exodus put pressure on government officials at the time to get rid of segregation. As Alexis said, this project has great balance. It will be interesting to see if your family accounts match what is written in the scholarly research you find.